Commuting Internationally

Hey, gang! This is a purely theoretical question, so feel free to ignore it if you have more important topics to address.

I was wondering if a pilot could commute from overseas. I realize the time it would take would be ridiculous, but again, theoretically…

Alan,

Actually I know quite a few pilots who commute internationally. Like any commute it’s entirely up to you to get to work on time and rested but sure. I’m here at Hawaiian and we have pilots who commute from Japan, Korea and Australia and when I was at Xjt there were a couple of pilots who commuted from Europe. One of the perks of the job if you so desire.

Adam

Alan,

My uncle commutes from Dublin to JFK on a regular basis, it some ways it is easier than my commute from ORF to EWR.

Chris

Chris,

Oh that’s right. I forgot you live down here in Norfolk. My family lived in Germany for three years while the Army had me stationed there. Someday, we would love to live over there again. Good to know it’s a possibility.

Related to that, I assume all international trips (from U.S. carriers) originate and terminate from the U.S.?

Adam,

Thanks! That’s really interesting. I admit I am a little surprised. Good to know, though! As I was telling Chris, my family lived in Germany three years while stationed there with the Army, and we would love to live there again someday…once kids are grown and such.

Stay safe!

Alan,

In my experience, all trips with US carriers begin and end in the US. The only exception that I am aware of is FedEx that has a base in Germany.

Chris

1 Like