COVID-19 Vaccine Medically Disqualifying?

Welp,

I’ll be the first to admit, I had no idea that pilots were not allowed to receive the COVID-19 vaccine until the FAA approves it.

Tory

Tory,

I actually had a very long conversation with ALPA Natl AeroMedical just yesterday on the subject. They’re trying to work out a compromise of a temporary grounding (anywhere from 2-14 days) but everything is still up for discussion. One of the main issues is a number of airlines are contemplating making the vaccine mandatory for all their pilots. Obviously if the FAA doesn’t relax their current stance that would be impossible.

Adam

2 Likes

Sounds like a good enough excuse that I can use to not take the vaccine :+1:t6: Thanks for the information Tory.

Al,

While that may work for you, it wouldn’t for those that want to get it. And for those that want it, it should be available.

The good news is that it will probably not be until spring or summer of next year before the general public will be able to receive the vaccine. Hopefully that will be plenty of time for the FAA to make a decision.

Tory

Yeah I think once the vaccine is approved by the FDA, then the FAA can evaluate and make a clearer decision. I was reading about the vaccine last night and it doesn’t sound like your “run of the mill” flu shot but I also don’t see any crazy chemicals or anything in it. It’s gonna be interesting what the FAA says about the vaccine as we learn more about it.

1 Like

My understanding is that taking the vaccine during the trial stages is a medically disqualifying event, as you’re taking unapproved medication. Since the vaccine(s) will be approved before the general public (and us pilots) will be able to get them, THEN we won’t have this issue.

I believe that the FAA will give guidance saying that a pilot will be grounded 2-3 days post-injection, and more if they display any adverse reaction.

Qualifier: These are my personal opinions, and I’ve been wrong before!

2 Likes

The FAA has approved the vaccine for pilots and controllers. All that is required is to not fly for 48 hours after taking the vaccine,

Chris

3 Likes

Wow that was quick

Hey pilots, my country is issuung a vaccine, Astrazeneca, which is not approved by the US/ FDA as yet! I havent taken it and dont plan to until its approved by the US because i think if they dont approve it, the US airlines will consider a non us apporved vaccine inadmissible to for being a pilot there (i prefer the usa vaccines though). Is it better i take the us approved ones just be okay for the airlines?

Even if someone did take a non-US-approved vaccine, would that disqualify them permanently, or only for a short waiting period? Basically, I live in Asia right now, and have taken a non-Western vaccine, but I wouldn’t start at ATP until next summer. Wondering if that could have any impact on my medical after a year.

You will need to direct these questions to a FAA medical examiner. We are not qualified to answer such things. Let us know what they say, please.

I figured as much, so I did send an email just after I posted this question. I’ll see what they say, and I’ll report back.

I’ll do so too

I got a very quick and clear answer from an FAA medical examiner in Michigan. I’ll just copy/paste his response here:

“Logan, the FAA does not care whether you have been vaccinated or not. They do not care what you have been vaccinated with. Their only concerns are that you do not fly within 48 hours of receiving a vaccination injection.”

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Logan,

Interesting, thank you for posting.

Chris