Criminal Records and Background Checks

So kids i just spent the week of Leadership Training at the Alpa (Airline Pilots Association headquarters, the largest pilot union in the World) and the subject of criminal records etc. came up. The Chairman of Aeromedical brought up a really fun story. Apparently they recently had a case where a Regional newhire who believed their record was expunged answered “No” to the “have you ever been arrested” question on their medical. Again the FAA medical is a Federal document and they tell you very plainly that lying on it is a Federal offense. The FAA actually missed it and he had his First Class but when they did the airport security check it came up. Homeland Security passed the info to the airline and who promptly fired the individual. Pretty bad right? Well the folks at DHS also passed the info on to the FAA. They didn’t fine the person nor did they threaten them with jail time. They simply voided ALL their licenses and ratings. The months or years of training and the tens of thousands of dollars spent gone, all gone (yes they can do that).

Just a cautionary tale that gave me goosebumps I thought I’d share.

Adam

9 Likes