Degrees/experience

Ok… So I do know I need at least a two-year degree to get into ATP… Or at least 2 years of work experience… Now I been in the same retail job for 4 years… and to be honest I’m getting sick and tired of it… And want to at least try to go for something bigger… My question is what kind of degree do I need?.. I been trying todo research but sadly nothing comes up me… And I know retail experience will not cut it… I some community colleges are free but I’m not too sure if they will offer the the degree I need to get into ATP… Im at age 24 so I still have plenty of time… And really want to quit my retail job… As we all know minimum wage does not pay absolutely nothing nowadays… Any who I’m still glad to be apart of this community and talking with actual pilots… As for a person who loves to fly to new places and hopefully meet new people.

To fly for a major airline you need a degree. Doesn’t really matter what degree you get. Ideally something you can fall back on if flying doesn’t work. Now to get into ATP YOU NEED 2 years college or 2 years work experience. You say you have been at same job for 4 years so sounds to me like that covers the 2 years work experience

Brandon,

To get into ATP, you need two years of college or two years of work experience, but not necessarily a two year degree. I would think that your retail experience would be fine. .but it is of course up to the admissions department. Call them and ask.

Chris

1 Like

https://airlinepilot.life/c/Ask-your-questions-and-get-real-answers-from-real-pilots/frequently-asked-questions

I recommend you start with the forums FAQ section. That’s generally the best place to start research on any subject.

Adam

Good Afternoon,
Hope everyone is staying safe with their families. I’m interested on becoming an aviation pilot. I just turned 45 years old in April 6 2020. I was wondering if it would be too late to take on this new journey in my life. How long would it take me to be where I can be successful in this field? What to expect? Please advice.

Edgar,

Welcome to the forums! Short answer, no, it is not too late, but you need to have realistic expectations. Please check out the FAQ section as there is a detailed post in there that addresses the age issue. Also, please check out ATP’s main website as they have a very thorough timeline shown there: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/flight-training-timeline.html

Chris