Demand of pilots in the future

Hi there, my name is Lisa I am 25 years old from Canada. My dream is to become a pilot and I am slowing working towards it. The cost of how much to costs is a bot overwhelming but I have been saving up for this for a long a couple years working in the oilfield. I am now ready to start my PPL. Would you recommend doing this in one go or a couple times every week? Also is the demand for pilots as serious as it is made out to be in the near future? Does

Lisa,

I can’t speak as to the current situation in Canada BUT the pilot shortage is VERY real in the US and everywhere else in the world so I have to imagine it’s the same up North. As for training, in a perfect world I would not recommend you going 1 or 2 days a week, I’d recommend you going 5-7 days a week as they do in the airlines and the military. That said I appreciate not everyone can. The short answer is EVERY pilot skill is built on the last and consistency is critical to success. You should train as often as possible.

Adam

thank you so much for the info Adam! What is it like getting hours or work once commercial ATP is done? Is it super hard to get a job? Would you first start off not he ground? Also would it be a good idea to actually buy a plane (alone or with someone) for flight school as its much cheaper and could get more hours this way?

If I may ask, are you an airline pilot?

Lisa,

Again I know the current situation in Canada. Here in the US instructors are in demand and they do both flight and ground instruction. Planes are expensive. Not necessarily the initial investment but maintenance wise which is why most people don’t go that route. I recommend you ask at your local flight school if they’re hiring and their forecast for the future.

I am. I’m a Capt at Hawaiian Airlines.

Adam