Do I Really Need a 4yr Degree? Really?

This question comes up often (almost weekly). We have ALWAYS stated while none of the Majors list 4yr degree as a “requirement”, it’s asked on every airline application and is often listed as “preferred” or “desired”. The response from many is “yea but I know a guy, I read about a guy, my friend knows a guy, I’m gonna flow-thru without, that was the past, nowadays it’s different…” etc etc etc.

The reason for this post is while things are quiet in the industry right now and there’s min hiring going on, you may have heard Mr David Neeleman (the guy who started a little airline called JetBlue, the 7th largest carrier in the US and one of the only airlines to remain profitable immediately after 9/11) is at it again with his newest offering Breeze Airways. They’re starting small with RJ sized airplanes and few destinations but they’re also one of the few airlines actively recruiting pilots. Anyone want to guess what’s on top of their list?

Desired skills
Four-year college degree

I’m not posting this to say I told you so to anyone but simply to point out something we’ve been saying for years, the more qualified you are the more options you’ll have and that’s never going to change.

Adam

4 Likes

Hi.
A 4 year degree, is it about 4 year aviation degree or just a 4-year college degree in general?
Thank you so much

Anh,

Any 4-year degree.

Tory

Anh,

The words I posted were directly from the ad. There’s no mention of aviation or any other specific field of study nor have I ever seen one.

Adam