Driving Record and History

Hello Everybody,

I recently asked a police officer about driving record and history regarding applying for jobs who ask you about your driving history as for example airlines. He stated “as long as your record showing no points as of now and you been taking care of any ticket you get in a proper way. There is nothing to worry about and you don’t need to mention”. Is this true, does anyone have any idea regarding this?

Also I asked him about he misdemeanor for fishing without license. He also stated that this misdemeanor is considered as a ticket misdemeanor not a crime misdemeanor. Can someone please make this clear?

Bishoy,

With all due respect to your police officer friend I’m curious as to what you believe he knows about the airlines or their hiring practices? We’ve already answered your question on a previous thread and told you you’ll be fine provided you keep yourself clean. That said your police friend is wrong. The airlines will ask for your driving record as far back as your state will provide AND ask about ANY criminal arrests or issues including misdemeanors. What you don’t seem to understand is flying a $100million jet with 300 people in back is not the same as driving a Pepsi truck. The airlines are entrusting you with their equipment and people’s lives and they want responsible LAW ABIDING citizens. Not people who believe they’re “regular tickets that regular people get”. As I said, start behaving and following the law and you’ll be fine, if not you won’t.

Adam

1 Like

Bishoy,

You’re still asking about this? Chris and Adam have answered these questions for you already. Yes, you will be asked about your driving record. Even if you don’t have any points against you, you will still be asked. Disclose all of the information. Don’t withhold information or lie. If you try to outsmart the system, the truth will be exposed and your interview will end abruptly.

I would google the difference between a crime misdemeanor and a ticket misdemeanor, or ask the police officer what the difference is. I could take a guess, but I’m not going to because again, just be honest about your history. Own your mistakes and don’t make any more and you should be fine.

Tory

1 Like

Thank you Adam and Tory,

I greatly appreciate your responses.

Hello Tory, I am considering starting flight school but worry because I do have a bad driving record including several speeding tickets I am only 21. Do you realistically think I could land an airline job with a bad driving record or should I choose a different career path?

Hadi,

This question comes up often and my answer hasn’t changed. If it really was just a couple of speeding tickets that did not involve drugs or alcohol then you should be fine. Stop disobeying the law from here on out. Be honest about your mistakes. If you need more affirmation before you decide to attend flight school, call some regional airlines and ask for their feedback.

Tory

1 Like

Hadi,

If it is just a bad speeding record and nothing more, then you should be okay, provided that you clean up your act and start driving within the confines of the law. The airlines are big on one’s ability to follow the rules. You need to be able to show that you can do that.

Chris

1 Like

Hadi,

My question is have your “several” speeding tickets resulted in a suspension of any kind because that could be a problem. If not you should be ok unless you continue. Then the “I was young and stupid” excuse won’t really hold up.

Adam

1 Like

Honestly yes I got it my license suspended 3 years ago for 3 months and my last ticket was a few months ago. I do have a bad record I never knew it could effect me at the time in getting a career just being a dumb kid in a fast car but let’s say I start flight school in June plus the two years it would take there do you think that would be enough for an airline to consider I’ve never got a DUI Or missed/felony just speeding civil infractions they all show on my record as 1 over also I’m in Michigan where after 7 years they’re off your record which most of mine were in my first two year and it’s been 6 now.

Hadi,

No, you’re not just a dumb kid, you’re worse (and btw airplanes are faster than cars and also have speed limits so you might not want to blame the “fast car”). You’re irresponsible and learned nothing, even after losing your license. IF (and I seriously have my doubts) you ever figure out your actions have consequences and can put some time between yourself and your bad behavior you could have a shot. Problem is again even after your suspension you continued to be reckless and speak about it like it’s no big deal.

As for your 7 year clean sweep the airlines will ask on their applications “has your license ever been suspended” which your’s has. Be prepared to answer some tough questions about it.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thanks for you’re input you’re completely correct I’ve been incredibly irresponsible I now realize the consequences of my actions so do you think it’s even worth taking the risk of paying 90k to go to flight school to possibly not even be able to find a job

Hadi,

Again if you commit to being a responsible adult and stop breaking the law you’ll be ok, if not you won’t. Totally up to you.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Will do thank you for your time.

Mauricio,

Provided you have in fact seen the error of your ways and keep your record clean going forward you should be fine. The airlines generally go back 5yrs and if there’s nothing to scary recently you’ll be fine. Just don’t forget when you feel the urge you have greater priorities.

Adam

I do not see this being a big issue for you. Just keep the record 100% clean moving forward and be able to articulate the lesson you have learned.