DUI as a minor

I am 17 years old and recently received a DUI.
Will this affect signing up for pilot school? Will I be hirable?

Bill,

Not only did you get a DUI, but you received one before your were legal to drink. Yea, Id say you’re going to have a problem!

While a DUI isn’t an automatic denial, you’re biggest obstacle will be getting your FAA medical and they like to see some time after the DUI to verify you don’t have a problem.

Long short you’re going to need to jump through ALOT of hoops and spend ALOT of money just to get your medical. After that, IF you remain squeaky clean for a few years you could have a shot.

Adam

Bill,

This will be a major challenge for your to overcome and will likely set your career back several years. At this point, Would recommend that you attend college first, then flight school. It would be best to put some time between you and this infraction.

Chris

Bill,

You have quite an obstacle to overcome and years down the road may look back, and think to yourself, “was it worth it?” This is a touchy subject as everyone’s case is different and the only way to tell is by attempting to hold a First Class Medical and reaching out to recruitment teams, seeing what they would have to say.

I’m with Chris here, put several years between the infraction and your chances MAY improve (not definite). Attend an accredited university, get a degree, maybe few years of professional work and things may swing in your favor.

The other thing: keep a clean record from here out. No traffic violations, no more DUI’s, and when it comes time to training, do your best to keep good standing with the FAA and no checkride failures.

Brady