Environment

Hello all, Iv’e been monitoring the forums for about a week and I want to thank everyone for asking questions I had and responding quick and being informative. Now to my questions, I go for a discovery flight tomorrow to reconfirm I wan’t to pursue this as my next career. My plan is to get my PPL this year and if I feel like it’s what I want to do, go to ATP next year. Whats some things I should look out for with a CFI and things I should focus on that would help going into ATP with a PPL? I’m also wanting to know what the work environment is like as a pilot. I just graduated and got into a career field that I like the work but it seems everyone (or mostly everyone) is really negative and it’s an environment I don’t want to work in. Do you find the work environment (ATP, regional’s, majors) to be more positive and do you enjoy going to work?
I know that’s a lot so thank you for taking the time to break it down and respond.

Darien,

Check out this link for what to look for in a CFI: https://airlinepilot.life/t/questions-for-any-prospective-flight-school/117/14

I find the work environment to be great. Of course like any job it has its ups and downs, but overall the job is really good. I can’t imagine doing anything else. Take a look at the “Flying the Line” section as there is a lot of good information about the job that you will likely find helpful.

Chris

Darien,

Take a look at the link Chris posted. Tons of great info.

I love my job as do most of the pilots I fly with. That said there are those that hate it and make their feelings known. That can make for a very long and painful time in the cockpit. Fortunately most airlines are large enough where you can avoid those you don’t care for.

Adam

Darien,

Some things to ask yourself about your CFI: do the two of you get along? Can they admit when they don’t know something or when they’re wrong? Do they show up on-time and prepared? That sort of stuff.

When you start ATP’s program with your PPL, the most important thing you can do is retain the knowledge you’ve learned and hold yourself accountable. Don’t get into the habit of parroting the CFI. That might make the CFI happy, but it doesn’t prove that you really know what you’re talking about. The other thing I would suggest is picking up or printing a copy of the Private Pilot ACS:
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/private_airplane_acs.pdf. Use this document to prepare yourself for the check ride. Your CFI uses the same document to prepare you. The examiner uses it as well to test you. Makes a big difference when a student knows what areas they could possibly be tested on so that there are no surprises.

There will always be a few bad apples, but I find the work environment at the airlines to be very positive.

Tory

Chris, thank you for your list of questions and I will be following that section as well now.

Adam, following Tory with the few bad apples and you mentioning people make their feelings known, seems like my place of work everyone is a bad apple and they all make their feelings known. I like reading what you all have to say because you genuinely have a passion for what you do and that doesn’t happen in news that much.

Tory, I’m hoping that the time between getting my PPL and starting ATP is minimal to retain as much as I can. I’ll add that document to my learning so thank you for that.