FAA medical deferral

Hi forum friends,

I know there are multiple threads here about medical clearance information and the FAA. I was hoping to hear what any of you have to say about my case.

I am new to this industry and very intrigued to learn more. Unfortunately, I had DUI incident back in 2020 with a BAC of .08. I am 23 years old I made a mistake and I’ve learned from it since. I understand this is very fresh, but I do not drink anymore. I spoke to an AME at an accelerated flight school and she told me my application will be deferred. she gave me the requirements I needed for the FAA. I have gathered everything from a court deposition, driving record, to my personal statement. I did not do any AA program but I did do an alcohol eval which I will include in the package. I am looking to attend a part 61 school, obtain my PPL and work on my hours to fly for compensation.

From what I have read in these forums I understand I will most likely wait a long time. What can I do in the meantime to get ahead while I wait to hear back? Is there any reason to attend ground school now? Does anyone know if there is a high chance I will need to do the HIMS program?

thank you for your time and responses, any and everything is greatly appreciated. Hopefully this can help anyone else out there dealing with something similar.

Juan,

2020 is fairly recent, while you recognize your mistake and own up to it, it will follow you along in life. The good news is, we’re a few days from 2024, a new year, and cases like this can favor with time. It may take time, but with what comes with time is maturity and growth.

The AME will be able to direct you in any direction regarding the medical. If you haven’t heard from them, check the MedXpress website as they implemented a “status checker” on applications in recent months (great feature!). The other option you could do is contact OKC directly and inquire of the status. You may also be waiting a letter of deferment with the next steps by OKC, which may require further testing (possibly a HIMS AME visit) or paperwork.

At this time, I would hold off on any training until you hold a valid medical. Keep a clean record from here out, do some positive volunteer work, and do well in training and with minimal busts, and I don’t see a problem later in the career.

Brady

Juan,

Doesn’t matter what anyone else has experienced. The FAA looks at every case on its own merit or lack there of.

Adam

Thank you for the reply’s. I appreciate the advice and feedback. I will keep the volunteer work in mind. I also understand every case is different hence my motive to ask on this forum. I’ll keep updates on any new information. I will also keep an eye in the mail and calling OKC about the status

Thanks again have A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

-Juan

Juan,

I’d get used to the idea of going through the HIMS program, and the time and money it will cost to potentially get your medical. It will be difficult and prevent you from starting any training for a while but it is possible.

Hannah

Hannah,

Thank you for your words of advice and encouragement. I understand the probability of having to go through with the HIMS program since my incident is fairly recent. I am willing to undergo the program, more worried about the money but hopefully it will be worth it and I will get approved. I will definitely keep familiarizing myself with the requirements in order to expedite the process. I hope all goes well once I get my appointment with the AME.

Thanks again,
Juan

Juan,

Since your original posting, have you gone to an AME with an application to begin the process? Waiting any longer could delay a response and stall your start of any training, which every day you wait, could be a day, month, year of seniority.

Brady

Have you taken an intro flight? Do you have any flight experience? The fact that you question whether or not it will be worth it concerns me. The HIMS program will determine if you get the possibility of holding a medical to begin flight training or not. If you don’t think it could be worth it, why go down this path at all. Becoming an airline pilot is a privilege with a huge responsibility. It’s the greatest job in the world but it doesn’t come cheap or easy. The fact that you have a history with substance abuse and can still be in the conversation, well you’re lucky. It didn’t used to be this way.

Hannah