Fast track and schedule flexibility

Hello, what is the availability to take 1-2 weeks off during the entire fast-track program? My only conflict during the program will be my son leaving for college. I’m debating between ATP and a local 141 “fast track” school. I do realize that the more time one takes off from flying the longer it takes to complete all of the ratings. Thanks.

Shannon,

Taking time off during the program is discouraged. The Career Pilot Program relies heavily on consistency. While it might be possible to get some time off between segments, the problem is training is dynamic and schedules change. If you’ve got a checkride scheduled and it needs to get pushed due to weather that can be an issue.

This program is highly accelerated and requires a commitment to be successful. This is something you need to discuss with admin and I won’t say it can’t happen. What I am saying is if you can get things done in a week then you should vs two. If this is the only time you need you should be able to work it out but if there’s more than that you may be better served training locally where you can take as much time as you need (as long as you keep paying). The ATP program is modeled after actual airline training and you have a finite about if time to complete it.

Adam

1 Like

I have found that ATP is accommodating at times for time off but its up to the discretion of admin; It also all depends where in your training it is. I wouldn’t suggest it if at all possible as that means a week or 2 out of the plane and flying is all about building up on what you recently learned.

Convenient and inconvenient time examples: If you are on Crew no big deal its just gonna push you back a little, If you are in CFI School or it right after your Commercial phase where it is short and very quick where weather could push the checkride back into that week it will affect you greatly and probably would be discouraged.

1 Like

Adam and Tom, thanks for your prompt and honest reply. My hubs (airline captain) said the same thing, but thought I’d get your take as you all are involved with ATP directly.
Shannon

I, too would recommend against this, regardless of which school you go to. Of course it can be done, but it will have an impact on your training.

Chris

I get that it’s not the best approach, but if going with a 141 school in my area still affords me the opportunity to take my kiddo to college and take care of immediate responsibilities if and when they come up then that’s what I have to do. If it means it takes twice as long and costs twice as much, then it does. My logbook has been at 140 hours since 9/11/2001 so I don’t think an additional year or two is a big deal at this point.

Shannon,

The best approach is the one that works best for you.

Adam

1 Like