Financing and GI bill help - Housing Allowance

Hey everyone! I’m currently an active-duty soldier with a dream to fly and ATP is looking like a very serious option. I’ve looked through many questions and testimonies on this forum. My biggest fear through the program would be not making enough money from the loan’s stipend for things such as my vehicle and other financial duties without out heavily hurting my savings accounts. I understand in a perfect world I wouldn’t need to touch my savings account and I’m absolutely ready to sacrifice, I’m just trying to explore my options as thoroughly as possible with others who are well educated on the matter.
I guess my actual question that stems from that is about the GI bill. From what I’ve read I cannot receive a housing allowance from the Post 9/11 while going through ATP since it is part 61, but I was wondering if it’s possible to use the Montgomery as it gets paid directly to you and could potentially be a saving grace of sorts. Any knowledge on the matter is greatly appreciated !

Thanks all
Eric

I’d talk to the ATP finance dept and the military aviation group RTAG about that.

I traded in my 1yr old 2017 Silverado LTZ for a used base Chevy Cruise when I started training. Sacrifice builds character :sweat_smile:

Chris F

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, Chris! I certainly plan on reaching out, but I definitely agree with your sentiment!

Eric R

Eric,

My understanding is the only think you can use any GI bennies for is checkride exam fees.

The good news is with available Tuition Reimbursement and the bonuses being paid you’ll only be sacrificing for a very short time.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thank you. I’m not sure if you’d be able to speak on this but would a part 141 experience where the timeline is similar seem smarter if I’m able to use my benefits from the military?

Eric

Eric,

Really depends on the 141 program? Problem is there is no way a 141 program will have comparable hours as their curriculum is based on hours which is why ATP is Part 61. That allows the accelerated timeline.

Adam

Eric,

Typically part 141 schools take 4 years paired with a degree to get through private, instrument, commercial and CFI or Multi engine. So after four years you have maybe 200 hours and still lack one of the ratings needed, CFI to build time or the ME for the ATP rating.

Then add another 1-2 years of building time, you’re qualified for the airlines 5-6 years after initially starting compared to the 2 years it will take you from zero time to ATP mins. You may have saved quite a bit of money on training cost but you sacrificed 4 years of seniority and 4 years of lost wages as an airline pilot.

Hannah

1 Like

Eric,

I agree with everything said above. Granted I have yet to start ATP (loan pending). 7 months versus 4+ years is a no brainier.

I have done a good amount of research and using your GI Bill isn’t that great for flight training. I used half of mine for A&P school. Even if you qualify for 100% of your GI Bill, VA will not pay the full 100%. I believe they cap it at a little less than 16K per fiscal year and you don’t get BAH. Apparently, too many flight schools were milking the system. They also don’t cover your PPL.

Save your GI Bill for your degree once your flight training is finished. VA will cover your testing though. You just gotta submit a form. “https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/how-to-use-benefits/test-fees/“.

Ben

1 Like

Eric,

I am curious, do you have a college degree?

Chris