First week down

I second that Matthew. I have been using my commute as extra time to run through my memorization of manuevers and TOL’s. It has helped a great deal.

I am almost 1 month down since my first day starting at atp.

I have a few (maybe 4?) hours left to do landings before my eval. I am getting the hang of it. So far I love flying.

I have to say though, I feel like I am a little behind, because of weather. I did not expect the weather to be this bad continously over here (it’s either raining, too cloudy, or too windy). Oh well, some stuff are out of your control.

Either way, it’s been a fun month so far. Looking forward to my check ride in the next month and half

1 Like

Moe,

Weather is always dynamic and can sometimes slow you down. September-November is usually a great time to fly though, you will likely catch up then.

Chris

1 Like

I’m about to be in the same boat come the 24th. I have about 16 hours in and have been trying to hone some skills that I’ve had issues with which are communications (bit slow on understanding what their saying. Busy airspace which requires constant changes during pattern and landings/touch and go’s) and flares. Bit rough on the pull. Can’t just pull the perfect tension throughout.

How are you liking the transition from 61 to 141? Did you go in with the written’s done or working on them?

1 Like

Well, I finally have an update, I passed my TOL eval this morning. I came back about a week ago, and got three flights to help me get back into things. My instructor was very patient, and used my remaining hours for the module in the best way to raise my confidence and awareness, which ended up being three shorter flights in pattern over a week, as opposed to one longer flight and jumping into the eval. It worked wonders for me. As always I will keep an eye on the forum for questions in between studying.

3 Likes

I also passed my TOL eval a few weeks ago. I did the most beautiful smoothest and perfect landings ever. I was impressed with myself.

“Ever”? Really? :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Congrats to both of you for passing your TOLs. Thank you for the updates, keep them coming.

Chris

1 Like

First solo this morning.

I’ll start by apologizing for the delay in updates. The past two weeks have been mostly traffic pattern and a three hour cross country night flight. All that lead up to my solo eval, which went well, then the first solo. It is very confidence building to finally be PIC for a few circuits of the pattern. It is not that I felt like I was behind, but I was always questioning if I was up to speed enough. I finally feel like I don’t have to remind myself to do the checklists, and flow through the flight and engine instruments. It is so much easier to correct the plane when you catch it early by being situationally aware, which is starting to come more naturally at last.

Next up is cross country, and I am very excited to move into the next phase with more confidence then since I started at ATP. As always, questions and comments are welcomed. I posted in the wrong thread

4 Likes

Hi, congrats, same here. My last flight was my first solo. Went smooth. I have two more solo flights then we start the cross country dual, then after that, solo XC, then checkride/checkride prep. It’s coming up quick.

1 Like

Matthew,

Congratulations on your first solo! Do you happen to have any pictures you can post?

Chris

1 Like

Moe,

Congratulations!! Same question for you, any pictures?

Chris

1 Like

Thanks! Enjoying my time at atp so far. It flew over my head to take a photo that day, so I missed the opportunity to do so. The only photo I really have is of the shirt I framed.

1 Like

Very nice. I did my first solo at a very small, not busy airport. KISP sounds nerve wracking, nicely done!

1 Like

Wow. Your CFI is quite the artist. You should see mine haha

1 Like

Seriously nice drawing! Your FI def has skills!

Oh and congrats!

Adam

1 Like

This is me doing the before starting engine checklist, we are at KCRG. My instructor took it and a few others. I waited to ask him before posting, I didn’t want to step on any toes. I just go back from my second scheduled solo, but winds picked up too much for my personal limits. So we postponed. Gotta love Florida weather.

3 Likes

If you can keep posting your progress with me, I enjoy reading about someone who is essentially in the same timescale as me as far as training. Maybe we will meet up at CFI academy if neither of us get delayed.

If no one else has given you this advice, the few professional pilots I know personally keep telling me to have as much fun as you can during training. Even if it feels like a lot, remember to find the fun in it.

2 Likes

Brings back memories, I did most of my CFI training there. Again, congratulations!

1 Like

Well it’s been an eventful two weeks. We had interesting weather shortly after my last post, due to the Nor’easter, so I wasn’t able to fly for about a week. Then came cross country duals, and cross country eval this morning. I am sad to say that I received an unsat on the eval. So I will have to retrain in the sim and another dual, then take the eval again.

I honestly thought about not posting this, but it is all part of the journey. My unsat was determined by missing radio calls on the first and third leg from Jacksonville center, due to the timing of getting my atis, and situational awareness.

I don’t believe that this will be too much of a detriment to my training as most other things went well. I am optimistic that I can work on my deficiency’s, and come out as a better pilot for it.