Flying for the majors with previously diagnosed ADHD

I have a question about my chances of flying for the majors if I have previously been diagnosed with ADHD. I am currently going to graduate with my bachelor’s in Computer Information Systems in December. I have been researching ATP and am extremely interested in flying professionally as my father was a pilot. However, when I was very young I was diagnosed with ADHD. I am aware that in order to get my first class medical, I will have to undergo further testing in order to deem it a misdiagnosis. I am just wondering if everything went to plan, and I did everything else right, would the majors look at this past medical record? Would they see that I once was diagnosed and would it hurt my chances of getting hired? Or is all they look at is the fact I have my medical?

Thanks in advance,
Ayden

Ayden,

If you are able to obtain a First Class Medical, you will be fine. The airlines should not ask about your past medical history, they just want to see that you have a medical certificate.

Chris

Chris,

That’s a little surprising. Wouldn’t they want to know if you’re at a higher risk of losing your medical? Or is that not a factor?

Ben

Ben,

No they would not. In fact there are privacy laws against that. You either have a First Class or you don’t.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks to all for the answer!

Ayden