Fulfilling My Dream

I’m 18 years old. Ever since I can remember, I’ve wanted to be a pilot. I’ve worked in airports for around a year for wheelchair companies, just to be around the air transportation industry. I’m currently working as an account executive for a marketing company, but every time I see a plane fly by my window, I feel the skies calling to me. At this point, I have no bills, no obligations, no significant others, nothing to lose. I’ve been contemplating signing up for ATP and becoming a pilot. I’d have to finance the tuition amount through a lending agency. I have nobody I can use as a cosigner, my parents aren’t in the position to do so. Should I go for this? I have no criminal background, a high school diploma, and 12 college credit hours.

Jophery,

Whether you should “go for it” or not is a grownup decision and obviously only one you can make. That said if it really is your “dream” not sure I understand why it’s a question as I believe everyone should if they can pursue their dreams (life is short).

Before that though there are a few things. First to train with ATP you need either your Private Pilot license or a 2yr degree (or equivalent work experience) which you currently have none of. Second while I’m sure you’re certain that flying is for you, I STRONGLY suggest before you do anything you take an Intro flight. While many people dream of flying until you actually have you really don’t know.

Adam

Jophrey,

Like Adam said, we cannot tell you whether or not you should become a pilot, only you can decided that. What I can tell you is that I absolutely love my job and am very glad that I did it. I suggest that you take some time and look around this forum as there is a lot of great information on here that will undoubtedly help you make your choice.

You will need a PPL, two years of college or two years of work experience to enter ATP. Wheelchair pushing probably isn’t going to count towards those two years, but the admissions department will be the ones to make that decision.

Chris