General questions about being a pilot

I have some questions I would for someone to answer about becoming a pilot and being a pilot. Thank you!

In total, how much did schooling cost?

Was the schooling difficult? Would you do it again if you could go back in time and make a different decision?

What has been an unexpected challenge you’ve faced?

Would you recommend this job? If not, why?

What’s something unexpected that you enjoy about your job?

What advice would you give to someone looking into becoming a pilot?

Alexandria,

1. The current price for training at ATP is $97k for ALL your training from your Private through Commercial. There are cheaper schools and more expensive options but none better than ATP.

2. Flight training, particularly accelerated training, is very challenging and requires a 100% commitment to be successful. The only thing I would do different would have been to start earlier. This was a second career for me and I wish it was my first and only.

3. Nothing was unexpected as I did my research and knew exactly what I was getting myself into. Anyone who is surprised didn’t do their homework.

4. Easy, I LOVE FLYING AIRPLANES. Getting paid to do what you love is the secret of life.

5. How MUCH I enjoy my job. Every aspect of it.

6. If you have a passion for aviation then don’t hesitate. If you’re doing it for ANY other reason (money, think it’s cool, just want to travel, etc) don’t. It’s challenging and while things are great now they might not always be. Those with the passion will persevere, those without will not be happy.

Adam

Alexandria,

Adam answered the objective questions so I’ll just add my perspective.

I also wish I started sooner. I had another career before starting to fly. It all has worked out but who wouldn’t want to be younger and more senior?

Flight school is incredibly challenging. Not because it’s technically difficult content but because there’s a huge quantity of information to master in a short amount of time. Add in the performance stress of actually learning how to fly an airplane. It’s more of a test of your work ethic and resiliency.

Unexpected challenge was a global pandemic right when I hit 1500 hours and all the regional airline jobs disappeared. But the best thing you can do, continue building your skills as a pilot because the industry bounces back. When it does, you need to be in a place to take advantage of it.

Of course, it’s the best job in the world. Not only are we pilots ourselves but we participate here to help guide and mentor future pilots.

My advice, make sure you’re pursuing flying for the right reasons. Not because it seems easy due to a global shortage, or because you’re going to make a ton of money or travel around the world. Do it because you truly love flying. Because it will be a long time before you make tons of money, fly around the world and have a great schedule. You need the passion to sustain you through all the rough times it takes to make it in this industry.

Hannah