Getting hired at Hawaiian

Aloha!!

I’m Leo, I’m from Brazil and I’m a pilot here in my country. I have been working as a cropduster for the last 9 years, before that I was a flight instructor for 2 years. So, I’m moving to Hawaii (Oahu) with my family (wonderful wife and a little princess) and my big dream is to work at Hawaiian airlines. I know that I need to get all FAA licenses also improve my English a lot (for real, my English is not good).

Dear, Adam. Could you help me with good places/schools where can I start to make this dream real? Can I do everything about licenses in Hawaii? What do you think that I need to do in this beginning?

I would be ready to start in Hawaiian airlines no matter what until i reach the cockpit, whether carrying suitcases or driving a truck, i need to be close to the planes because it will give me strength to achieve my goals.

Thank you so much and I’m sorry if I made mistakes writing in English and if I asked my question in the wrong place.

I am very excited to have found this forum with so many good professionals.

Leo

Leo,

I moved your post to its own thread because it really had nothing to do with the topic it was on.

So a few things. First to fly as a Commercial pilot in the US you have to be a citizen or have Permanent Resident status. So that’s a box you’ll need to check. Second, as you state you need to convert your licenses (you don’t say what you have but I’ll assume you’ve got your Commercial and your CFI. Hopefully you have your Instrument and MultiEngine?). If not you’ll need both but basically you’re going to need to get to the FAA ATP mins and then get a job flying a jet to gain some experience (there’s Aloha Cargo or you’ll need to go to the mainland and fly for a Regional). While Hawaiian hires plenty of people in other capacities, that won’t help you get hired as a pilot.

Adam

Adam, thank you so much for moved this post and for your attention.

Talking about your questions, I got my permanent resident card this month and I’m very grateful for living this opportunity to start a new life in US. This box was checked.

The second box was about my licenses, in Brazil I have got the commercial, instrument, multi engine, CFI and a “cropduster” licenses. As you said, I need to get my FAA ATP license, do you know if there is any aviation school in hawaii where i can get this license?

And talking about my modest experience in aviation, now I’m 31 years old, with 7.500 flight hours, of which 1.500 as a turbo prop PIC (airtractor 402/502).

I know that I have a lot of new things to learn and to do before be really prepared and authorized to flight on any airline but Do you think my current experience would be enough to try to join a local company like Aloha cargo?

Thank you again.

Leonardo,

To earn your ATP you must complete an ATP-CTP course. Honestly I’m not aware of any schools in Hawaii currently offering the course (but I could be mistaken?).

As for Aloha Air Cargo I do know they hire pilots with considerably less time than you have.

Adam

Hello Adam,

I am a 19 year old CFII and part 91 corporate FO flying King Airs and Citations. Hawaiian is my dream airline and I would love to fly for them when I turn 21. I would love to meet someone that works for the airline and am looking to fly out to Hawaii for one of their hiring events next year. If your have any tips for getting an interview and being hired by Hawaiian I would love to hear them.

Thank you,
Luke Valentine

Luke,

I really don’t see you going from CFI/Part 91 straight to Hawaiian at 21. Hawaiian is a Major airline and wants to see some mainland Regional Airline flying on your resume. If Hawaiian is your goal I’d focus my attention on building time/experience and as soon as you hit 1500hrs getting hired by a Regional.

Adam

Would flying for a 135 operating increase my chances of being hired at 21. I have the opportunity to fly for a cargo company at my home airport but have not made the decision to move jobs yet.

I’ve just passed 1000 hours and think it would be feasible to get 1000 turbine in the next 2 years with the 135 operation but I’m not sure that would be significant enough or if they would want 121 time.

Luke,

To my knowledge, again, they want to see some 121 time and you’ll also need your ATP (not an R-ATP) which you can’t get till you’re 23.

That said it can’t hurt to apply and let them tell you otherwise.

Adam