Getting started, when to apply for financing, loan approval advice

Hi!

My name is Luis Ibarra Jr., and I am a sophomore in college attending Kennesaw State University (please feel free to read my bio). I will graduate from college in Fall 2024, and would love to begin flight training in January 2025!!

My only concern is loan approval, as I am unsure if I would be approved or not. Is there a minimum credit score required? I would likely be approved with the help of my parents’ consigning, but I am worried that I might mess up their retirement. Would this be true if they cosigned on my loan?

My next question would be when would be the best time to apply for financing if I plan on starting in January 2025. Also, if I already took my introductory flight in fall 2021, would I have to redo it given it has been a significant amount of time?

Thank you so much for reading and input! I can’t wait to be an ATP student :slight_smile:

Luis,

I believe the usual lead time to apply for loans is 6-9mos out. While you could apply earlier, in all likelihood the approval would expire and you’d need to reapply.

As for messing up their retirement, the only way you’d do that is if you shirk YOUR responsibility to pay it in which case they will go after your parents. If you care about them you won’t let that happen.

As for the Intro Flight you’d have to check with ATP admin.

Adam

1 Like

Luis,

For any questions regarding applications or loans, we typically recommend reaching out to Kirk at ATP Finance Department via phone 904-595-7946, as he would be able to provide you the best response as things change over time.

I did my loan financing 9 months out once I completed my Admissions Flight; however, if things stay current if you do an Admissions Flight once you have approved loan, your flight is free. I believe the Admissions Flight is only good for a year (12 months). That would be a direct question to Admissions, 904-595-7950 or if @Addison wouldn’t mind chiming in on that one.

Brady

1 Like

Luis,

Typically, lenders look to see a 640+ credit score, 2+ of established credit, and no derogatory marks. Of course, they will take your full credit history into consideration when making a decision on your application.

Any questions you have regarding impact to your cosigners credit would be best directed to Kirk in our finance department (904-595-7946)

If you’re not looking to start until January 2025, you would need to re-do your admissions flight as they are valid for 12 months.

Hope this helps,
Addison

2 Likes