Getting the Medical Exam

My son used to take the drug Clonidine. He is worried that he will not pass his medical test. How long do you have to wait after you stop taking a drug before you don’t have to mention it, is there a timeframe. Or as long as he is not taking it no longer, would it be safe to mark that he is not taking any prescription drugs. Does the FAA actually look into your pharmacy records? Do they go back to previous years? Every doctors office that I call they can’t give me any answers.

Amy,

To begin with, none of us here are medical doctors, let alone FAA doctors, so we cannot answer any medical questions.

What I can tell you is that your son (not you) will need to answer all of the FAA’s questions truthfully and fully. It is not a question of whether or not they check records, it is a question of making sure that people who are not fit to fly do not do so.

I do not have the form in front of me, but generally they ask what medications somebody is currently on, but about any medical condition they have ever been diagnosed with. Even though your son no longer takes the Clonidine, he still had a diagnosis for whatever he took that medicine for and that will need to be reported.

Chris

Thank you Chris! Can I find the form online to see what they ask?

main_faa-form-8500-8-application-airman-medical-certificate.pdf (238.0 KB)

See above. This is an old form, but the questions are roughly the same. Section 18, question M might be applicable, as might question X.

Amy,

What’s key on the medical form is the statement “HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU PRESENTLY HAVE”. There is no “in the past X years” and there is no time limit. If your son has he must answer yes. We live in the computer age and the FAA is a federal agency. If your phone knows you’re looking at your buying habits you can bet the federal govt knows your prescription history.

Adam

Amy,

I just replied to your other question. Seeing this question now puts things into perspective.

Your son just needs to answer the questions according to how the questions are written. Don’t overthink it.

The questions are written the way they are for a reason. Answer honestly and allow the FAA to make their decision.

Whether or not the FAA has access to medical records is beside the point. The real reason these questions are being asked is for safety. Being medically fit to fly is a big deal. Withholding information (no matter how seemingly big or small) is not only dangerous and irresponsible, but also a serious offense.

Please don’t take offense of my choice of words. I am not making any accusations. Truly. I’m just giving context to my answers. These questions that you’re asking may seem innocent, but please understand that we have an obligation to address these types of questions with the same seriousness as the FAA would.

Tory

No offense taken, I just have a heartbroken son that thinks he will never be able to fly. We totally understand the reasons to mark yes that he has had in the past had taken meds, but Our bigger question is two part:

1. is it a total denial?
  2. is it something that he will have to wait out for a time period?

Let’s say his application will get red flagged, does the FAA give any solutions to be possibly given the ok to fly? Do they tell you the parameters? How long does this process take?

I realize none of you are doctors, we just want to ask questions.

Amy,

Your son needs to make an appointment with a FAA AME and apply for a First Class medical. That is the only way to find the answers you are looking for.

Chris

You are correct and will be doing so today. :blush:just a little anxious

Amy,
Totally understand your concerns. As the guys mentioned, all your son can do is be honest on the forms and with the AME. They will make the decision on how to proceed and what additional screenings will be needed. It could be a few months process and he gets his medical or it could be a much more difficult process. It really just depends… its out of your control though. We wish you the best of luck. Please keep us updated with how things go. We’re here to provide guidance where we can.
-Hannah

This is a pretty good article by AOPA on ADHD related medical questions and the FAA.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/adhd/

Here is the FAAs website related to ADHD.

I’m not a doctor, but the AOPA article above goes into pretty good detail. AOPA is a big pilot advocacy group. It might be worth calling them for guidance.

Good luck,
Chris F