Pilots and FAA First Class Medical

Hello,

I’m taking some medication and I’m looking to see what is approved or not approved before taking my FAA First Class Medical. Im asking this in order to get/ween off the appropriate medicine that I need to in order to get approved. Who would I talk to about for something like this?

Im afraid to apply because I may be denied.

Thanks,
Andrew Able

Andrew,

AMAS (Aviation Medical Advisory Service) has a pretty thorough list of medications and their implication on your medical. Medication Database (Read Disclaimer Before Searching) - AMAS
You could also visit an AME for a consult prior to your exam.

You should know, depending on the medication, it’s not simply a matter of stopping as many have learn term implications and require a detailed explanation to go along with your application. They don’t simply ask “are you taking…”, the question is “have you EVER taken…?”. Further if you’re currently taking something I would think there’s a reason.

Adam

Andrew,

It really depends on the medication, but more importantly, the underlying reason you are on it.

The FAA asks what medicines you are currently taking, but they ask about any condition you have ever been diagnosed with. So let’s say you were on adderal for ADHD and you manage to ween yourself off it. That is great, but the FAA is still going to ask if you have ever been diagnosed with ADHD and you must be truthful in your responses.

Bottom line is that you need to make an appointment with a FAA Medical Examiner and speak directly with them.

Chris

Thank you for the information