Guard/Reserve during ATP?

Hi all, I was wondering, do people go through ATP who are also in the Army or Air Guard/Reserve? I’ve been wanting to go back into the military, but not sure if or when it would be good timing? Are there pilots for the regionals or majors who are Guard/Reserve?

I’m a little concerned about the 18-24 mo CFI time if that’s my only income—do people ever need to get a second job during that time?

Also, with ATP being 7 mo, would it be better to sign a less than year long apartment lease?

Thanks for the help! I’m hoping to start at the Flying Cloud, MN location soon.

Emily,

While there are people who are currently serving in the Guard who train with ATP, I definitely wouldn’t enlist if you’re planning to. ATP is a full-time commitment. Weekend, monthly Guard requirements are doable, but the yearly 2 weeks and initial drill are not.

I know many pilots (Regional and Major) who are in the Guard. The airlines are very good about working with them so that’s not an issue. What is again is trying to start AND starting ATP. Since EVERYTHING is based on seniority at the airlines and pilots have a limited number of years to fly, if you want to be a pilot I’d focus on that first. If you want re-enlist do that but you really can’t have your cake and eat it too.

ATP does not permit their instructors to have other jobs but there are schools that do. Keep in mind if you’re only instructing part-time you’ll be doing it for more than 24mos.

As for a lease or otherwise I’m actually a fan of ATP housing but that’s obviously up to you as is how long you commit to a location.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you, Adam!! I really appreciate your insight!

I am in the Air Guard and currently going through the ATP program. I am fortunate to have a unit that is willing to work with me and is allowing me to do my drills at a later time. I did have to take a month off to do some drills and a training in Germany, but the timing worked out that it happened right after my private checkride. It would have been more difficult if I was in the middle of a training phase. It’s definitely doable, but having a good unit that understands the commitment is key.

1 Like