Guidance needed please

Hello all,
First post here.
My name is Ryan. I’m 38 years old and for the past several months to a year I’ve felt the urge to change careers and start flight training in hopes of becoming a pilot. First question and maybe the biggest question is, am I too old to start?
Secondly and probably the biggest reason I haven’t started anything yet, is because I have a speech impediment :sweat:. I don’t want to take a discovery flight, love it, and then be told that I can’t pursue being a pilot because of my handicap. I definitely don’t want to waste the flight school personnel’s time or waste my time.
Any advice/guidance would be most appreciated! Thanks so much!

Ryan,

Your age is not a factor. I didn’t start till I was 39 and I’ve been a Capt at a Major airline for many years now.

The speech impediment may be an issue. Good, clear communication is an essential pilot skill. With that in mind I would take a Discovery flight or lesson (or 3) and actually see what we do and see how that goes. A good instructor should be able to assess your abilities and then you can proceed from there. Yes you might me disappointed but you may be pleasantly surprised. Either way at least you’ll know for certain.

Adam

1 Like

Ok, thank you sir. I appreciate the reply. I get overwhelmed watching YouTube videos of flight stuff and watching and listening to all the comms stuff, and I’m like “yeah I might as well not even try this”

Ryan,

Most new students find the communication aspect of flying VERY intimidating. What you need to keep in mind is until you’ll get some experience, the comms you’re listening to have no context. It’s like trying to learn a foreign language simply by listening to people speak it. You need something (like a picture) to be able to decipher what they’re saying.

Totally up to you but I’d give it a try.

Adam

Ryan,

I bought a scanner radio to listen to the railroad frequencies with my sons when we are out watching trains. I thought that I would be able to make sense of the communications as it is in transportation and I am in transportation. I learned very quickly that while English, it is a whole different language and that it wold take considerable time and knowledge to learn how to understand it. My points that I would not be concerned about not understanding or being able to keep up with aviation speak at this point in your life.

The speech impediment is more concerning. I would say that if you are able to get through conversations in everyday life without much trouble, then you would be alright in aviation. If you have difficulties holding a normal conversation, or get “stuck” on certain words, then it might be a difficult career for you. I would of course defer to a Speech Pathologist and/or a FAA doctor.

Chris

Ryan,

I’d go see an AME first before you do anything. They evaluate a future pilots fitness for flight and if concerned, could have you pursue a more extensive evaluation process. Best to start there. If you can get a first class medical, then it’s up to the mechanics of talking in the radios to make sure you can communicate effectively and safely.

Hannah

Thank you guys/gals for the advice/help. I really do appreciate all of it. It eases my mind a little.
While in high school I took speech therapy at a local university and they said I had a mild case. If I get nervous while meeting new people or something of that case it may flare up more than it normally would. But if I get to know people and can kind of chill and relax then it’s barely noticeable.
So that got me to thinking and I’ll ask y’all this….would I do better in maybe a Part 135 position where there would be less people and maybe a more personal setting where maybe I would be more relaxed. (definitely NOT meaning less safe or focused on the task at hand).

Thank you all again. Look forward to reading any response and thoughts.

And by speech impediment, I don’t want y’all to think I talk like Mel Tillis. Not making fun of the man by any means, but my goodness did he ever have a severe case :pleading_face:

Ryan,

It doesn’t matter what kind of flying you do, private, CFI, corporate, cargo or the airlines… whatever flying you’re doing, you’re still communicating with ATC to ensure the safety of the flight. Weather, maintenance items or delays can occur which impact your stress level so being able to communicate clearly and effectively will be absolutely necessary in all types of flying.

Hannah

Ryan,

Watching YouTube and comparing yourself to pilots is not something I recommend. You do not know if this is something you can fully tackle until you get yourself into a small plane and an introductory flight. Your first step should be conduct an introductory flight and then acquire a medical.

I recommend in the meantime you reach out to an AME and consult about the speech impediment, see what a professional has to say about it. Maybe they need to refer you to the local FSDO for an assessment, we don’t know.

Brady

Thank you all so much for the responses. They have all got me thinking about things I haven’t thought about before.
Again, thank y’all!

Ryan,

Pilots at any operation, 121 or 135, need to be able to communicate clearly and succinctly with people they just met at a moment’s notice about important and urgent matters.

Chris