Hairstyles

I know you guys discussed some airlines allowing goatees, but does ATP allow a low trimmed one?

Thanks

See above for facial hair policy.

Tory

1 Like

Thank you Tory, if I understood correctly, I can only have a mustache, no goatees.

1 Like

Thatā€™s my understanding as well.

1 Like

When I enrolled with ATP I was 39yo and had a beard for probably half my life. ATP said I needed to shave it so guess what I did? I shaved it. Wasnā€™t even a question, a decision or more than a passing ā€œoh wellā€. Know why? Because I wanted to be a pilot and had concluded that ATP was the best route. With that in mind if ATP said I had to shave my head I wouldā€™ve done that too.

These are called priorities my friends. I have a fantastic life which I would not have, had I not been willing to make the miniscule sacrifice of shaving my beard (or getting a haircut). If itā€™s a problem for anyone I strongly recommend you evaluate your life and your priorities.

Adam

Marwan,

Unfortunately, goatees are not permitted as your face will need to remain clean-shaven.

Addison

Yeah, itā€™s fine. No big deal, I got a lot of unused shaving products that Iā€™d like to use hehehe.

To jump into a little bit of an old thread, Iā€™ve had trouble finding any regulations that would assist my understanding of my situation. I currently have an Afro that I generally wear in well-done cornrows. Would that be something that I would need to adjust for atp/airlines? I appreciate any advice for this!

As it currently stands, you will need to adjust your hairstyles for the airlines as to my knowledge, none of them allow cornrows.

Dominic,

From my companyā€™s FOM (Flt Ops Manual):
Male Crewmembers: Hairstyle should be conservative and reflect a professional business-like groomed appearance. Hair should not extend past the middle of the ear or extend below the shirt collar. Further a hat is required as part of the uniform and Iā€™m not sure how that would work with cornrows?

While I guess cornrows (braids?) could be argued, in all my years Iā€™ve never seen a pilot attempt to wear them. My suggestion is you wear them to your interview and see how it goes.

Adam

Dominic,

Company policies may vary, but this is what mine says:

1. Hair must be styled in an overall professional look that reflects current business styles and complements the uniform and hat ensemble. Hair must be cut to prevent extending over the top of the ear or longer than the top of the shirt collar. Bangs are not to extend lower than the top of the eyebrow.

2. Unauthorized hairstyles include but are not limited to the following styles: Extreme volume, frizzed or crimped looks, asymmetric, geometric and other severe cuts, spiked or disheveled looks, oily, wet, slicked-down styles, dreadlocks, cornrows, or unnatural hair colors or color combinations, including extreme chunks of unnatural color contrast.

Hannah

Chris, Adam, Hannah,

Thank you for the responses! This definitely helps me confirm my decision of cutting my hair. Iā€™m looking forward to starting at ATP in Colorado next month and I really appreciate all your help in this forum!

Dominic,

Not problem at all, glad we could help. Let us know what else we can do for you.

Chris