Appearance

Hello everyone, I have a love for aviation, and I am considering joining the ATP school, but I would like to know are there any airlines out there that would hire male pilots with dreadlocks? I’d rather find out before I make such a large investment.

Justin,

To my knowledge there is not a single airline in the country that permits dreadlocks (or any hairstyle that extends below the ears or nape of the neck).

Good thing you asked before you drop $100k! :flushed:

Adam

Justin,

I have not heard of an airline that allows dreadlocks. If being an airline pilot is something you’re considering; it may be time to change the hair style (unless something in the world changes and it’s allowed). The only other option you could do is contact an airline recruiter and get an answer from them directly too.

Brady

I am curious if airlines allow for female pilots to have their hair down as long as it looks professional. I see a lot of videos on social media of female pilots flying with their hair down, but I know not to believe everything you see. I have hair that goes past my shoulders.

Madelyn,

Female pilots benefit from more “lax” uniform standards, one of which is hair. Many female pilots have longer hair (within reason). The pics you see are legit.

The following is from my airlines manual regarding Female Flight Crew:

1. Hairstyle should be conservative and reflect a professional, business-like groomed appearance.

2. The bulk or length of the hair will not interfere with the wearing of headgear. Hair will be neatly groomed and will not present an extreme, ragged or unkempt appearance. Hair holding ornaments must be of natural nature color or transparent and will be inconspicuously placed.

You’ll notice there’s no reference to actual length.

Adam

Madelyn,

Length typically isn’t addressed. However, the biggest statement is “not to interfere with duties”. If you are used to having your hair down all the time, you may be able to operate normally that way. I have a longer hair (a few inches beneath the shoulder) and I can’t stand my hair getting in the way during the walk around. That’s typically when I pull it back in to a ponytail and leave it that way through the remainder of the flight. For me, it’s one less distraction.

Hannah

I am a male 30 years old about to start the ATP career pilot program. I have longer hair just below shoulder, well kept, natural color. I get compliments all the time on how great my hair looks. My goal is regional airlines. Do you think it’ll be a problem if it’s well kept?

Samuel,

Excerpt right from my company’s (Regional Airline) FOM:

• Hair will be kept neat, well groomed, and cut to a reasonable length (i.e. not
    over the lower half of the forehead and not over the lower half of the ear or
    below the ear opening, and not below the top of the shirt collar). Hair must
    be groomed to allow the uniform hat to appear normal if worn.

Brady

Newsflash Samuel, you’re going to have an issue LONG before you get anywhere near a Regional jet. I see Brady’s airline manual and raise you one! This is from ATPs dress code policy:

Adam

1 Like

Samuel,

That hairstyle is not going to work at the airlines. You will need to have neatly trimmed, short hair. Think a military officer cut.

Chris

1 Like