How to pay for private pilot license required to attend atp?

I made my mind up, I did alot of research, I was ready to enroll with atp… Unfortunately somehow I never noticed until just now on the atp website, it states that u r required 2 years work with 1 job, 2 years college experience, or a private pilot license… So I don’t have any of the above but I’ve been researching & studying, deng it I was ready to go… My plan was to become a regional pilot & then focus on earning my degree online in my off time… I’d like to stick to that plan. The only solution is to go to a flight school & get my private… but that costs 10 grand… So my question is, will Sallie May or Wells Fargo help cover the 10 grand even if it is not associated with the atp schooling? Or do I need a second loan now? Will being in debt & having a loan unpaid stop them from allow me to get a loan for atp until I pay it off??

Grant,

Both Sallie Mae and Wells are independent financial institutions. You would have to contact them directly and see what kind of loans would be available to you. While taking out a first loan wouldn’t prohibit a second it will absolutely effect how they look at your finances and credit worthiness.

Adam

For the 2yr work experience, will just a normal high school job for 2 yrs count for this to enroll after high school?

Mike,

It is two years of full time work experience.

Chris

Mike,

ATP Admin has the finally say on what qualifies but this should be a job with some level of responsibility.

Adam

Would atp ever consider making an exception… I held one job for over a year… I did take a few college courses in high school…

I appreciate the feedback thanks guys

Grant,

ATP Admin has the final word but I believe they’re pretty firm on this one. As I said it’s really for your protection and the fact you held a job for a year but didn’t continue and took a few classes but again didn’t continue really validates their concern. You can always call and ask, the worse they can say is no.

Adam

Thank you Adam and Chris! I’m thinking I’ll just start working on my private pilot license this summer before my senior year of high school. Would it be a good idea to start the program after high school, become a flight instructor, and start logging hours while I’m going to college?

Grant,

ATP admissions has the final say on all such things, you should call and ask them. My gut feeling is that they are going to want to see more work or college experience from you.

Chris

Mike,

You will not be able to work as a flight instructor for ATP and attend any kind of college classes at the same time as the demands of the job are just too great. You could however work on your degree while you are at the regionals.

That being said, I strongly feel that the best course is to go straight from high school to college. You are in school mode now, so it is just easier to stay in it. Furthermore, there is something to be said for the increased maturity that age brings, especially when flying an airplane.

Chris

Grant,

ATP admissions has the final say on all such things, you should call and ask them. My gut feeling is that they are going to want to see more work or college experience from you.

Chris

Mike,

You will not be able to work as a flight instructor for ATP and attend any kind of college classes at the same time as the demands of the job are just too great. You could however work on your degree while you are at the regionals.

That being said, I strongly feel that the best course is to go straight from high school to college. You are in school mode now, so it is just easier to stay in it. Furthermore, there is something to be said for the increased maturity that age brings, especially when flying an airplane.

Chris