Humanitarian/NGO pilots

Hi all,
Any humanitarian/NGO/UN contracted pilots willing to answer some questions about how to get in that field? I am really interested in supply chain/cargo charters for MSF and other organizations.
Thanks,
Julie

Julie,

I don’t believe anyone on this forum would be in those fields but I can give some basic pointers.

JAARS is a big one and I assume always open to give information about how to join.

They usually want pilots to also be A&Ps (mechanics), but sometimes they have openings without that requirement.

It’s a different lifestyle that has some amazing missions, flying and people. If it’s what you’re interested in then I would start there.

Aviation Career Mentorship on FB might also have some advice.

All the best,
Chris F

Hi Chris,
Thanks for this. Anything else that doesn’t have a missionary/religious requirement?
I’m interested in flying supplies, cargo, medical equipment (vaccines, etc) and doctors/engineers to places like Haiti, South Sudan, and Ukraine.
Thanks for your time,
Julie

Something similar to this:

A-ha! Found one… maybe I’ll just start a list here for anyone else who’s interested?

1 Like

Julie,

It is going to be hard to find pilots who work jobs like that. The simple fact is that airline and corporate pay is usually significantly better than the types of jobs you are talking about. That being said, there are certainly pilots that work entire careers in those fields.

Chris

Hey Chris,
Thanks for your message. Would you happen to know anyone from this type of field? Or maybe know someone outside of APL that might know someone? Financially this is a big commitment and just would like to have more insight into this particular field.
Thanks,
Julie

Julie,

I do not know anybody from those fields or even anybody that might. It is a very niche side of flying and a small community.

Chris