Hey guys, as you know I posted a few weeks ago about getting hired at Skywest. Due to obvious reasons, my start date was suspended. I’m still flight instructing and flying a lot. However, I have an interview coming up next month for a cargo company flying single pilot Queen airs in ND. I was wondering if you could share some insights and wisdom if I were to get this job (and that’s a big IF since I’m sure there are more experience and better qualified pilots applying for the job as wel) if it would be wise to accept it or wait everything out as an instructor. I don’t take the position lightly as I will be having to fly single pilot is North Dakota weather and it requires me to sign a year contract.
Your call but if you’ve got a job waiting and are still flying plenty, why would you go elsewhere and sign a 1yr contract? I don’t think you’ll be going to training anytime soon but really no one knows for certain and I’d be reluctant to lock myself in.
If it were me and I preferred the cargo job over instructing, I would take it. No one can predict the future. It’s unclear when the regionals will be hiring again. We can only make decisions based on the information we have available now.
Just curious, what happens if you don’t fulfill the one year contract?
Not sure. There is no sign in bonus, but they are flying me up there for the interview and I’ll talk to them about it.
If I felt I was up for the King Air job, I would go for it. It will be great experience and you will learn a lot from it. How much does it cost if you break the year contract?
As of now, I don’t know what will happen if I break the contract. It is a 135 company, so I’ll have to do a 135 contract. Not sure how contracts work in that world
I am not sure either. Let us know how it goes though, I will be curious to know.
Sure will. Thanks, guys.