IFR rating time building req

Hello ! The IFR requires 50 hrs of XC as a PIC and another 40hrs in simulated or real IFR conditions… my cuestión is

Is it possible to do those 2 requirements at the same time? Let’s say I flight with a safety pilot. One of us acting as a PIC and the other one, flying under the Hood?

Instead doing 50 first and the 40 ifr…

Also. Is it possible with another ppl ? Instead a CFI ( for the time building, both the 50pic and 40ifr hrs )

Yes you can complete those two requirements at the same time. If you were to depart on a simulated IFR cross country flight and logged 2 hours CC and 1.7 simulated, you are attacking both requirements at the same time.

The safety pilot is not required to be a CFI but he/she is required to hold at least a private pilot certificate, a current medical, and hold the class/category of airplane being used including any additional endorsements (a complex or high performance for example). In other words, the safety pilot is required to be legal to act as PIC in the aircraft being used. Obviously, you can’t both be wearing the VLDs at the same time.

Trey

Luis,

I’m sorry. I don’t feel comfortable providing guidance on this. Obviously you have knowledge of the FARs. If you’ve read them and don’t understand them well enough to be asking the kinds of questions that you’ve just asked, then you have no business making these kinds of flight training decisions, and I’m not going to make them for you. Please consult your CFI.

Tory

One quick correction… The safety pilot is not required to have the additional endorsements. He/she would not be able to log PIC, but can still be an SIC safety pilot.

The safety pilot does log PIC. You can’t log SIC in a piston engine such as a 172.

I may not have been clear… If the safety pilot has all the proper endorsements in addition to the category/class ratings, and is therefore qualified to be PIC of that aircraft, he/she can log PIC time during the time the other pilot is under the hood. However, if the safety pilot has category/class but lacks an endorsement, such as complex or high performance, he/she can still be safety pilot, but cannot act as or log PIC. He/she CAN log SIC time, regardless of aircraft, although SIC time in a 172 is probably of no real use. See https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/learn-to-fly/logging-cross-country-time/logging-time-safety-pilot for more info.

1 Like

Tim,

Good reference. Thanks for clarifying for everyone.

Tory

1 Like

Luis, if I may add something for you to consider… You will also need a minimum of 15 hours of instruction, and you can actually “kill 3 birds with one stone” for some (or all) of your IFR training flights. During lessons, if you’re wearing a view-limiting device and traveling at least 50nm away, you can simultaneously log dual, cross country PIC, and instrument time. Every little bit helps, right? Of course, it’s not likely that all your training flights will be cross country, but some of them surely will. And, it’s also not likely you’ll be checkride-ready after only 15 hours of training. I would plan on no less than 20 hours dual.

Tim,

Incorrect. One cannot log SIC time in a little airplane such as a Seminole or Archer. Both pilots actually log PIC time.

Chris

Chris, did you read my references above? Can you cite a reference that negates 61.51(f)(2)?

Alright. Again I stand corrected on SIC time. Thanks guys.