In between flights

If you are away from home, and only have one flight for the day and it’s over by lunch, what do you do the rest of the day, and how do you get around wherever you may be?

Keaton,

Let’s see…on my layovers I (and my friends) have gone to: concerts, theater productions, comedy clubs, a plethora of restaurants, museums, aquariums, line dancing, galleries, temples, churches, castles, surfing, national monuments, parks, swam with manta rays, sharks and dolphins, aikido seminars, mining tours, hiked, laser light shows, go kart racing, kangaroo/koala reserve, many gyms, almost been mugged, sailing, fishing, skiing, paragliding, indoor skydiving, beach, air shows, rode ATVs in the desert, met a prophet, skeet shooting, gambling, taken classes, seen movies, been an extra in a TV show, amusement parks, bike riding, attacked by a magpie, visted friends and family, met countless interesting people, answered questions on this forum, watched TV and done nothing.

To get there I’ve taken the bus, train, walked, uber, taxi, biked, rented cars and even taken a rickshaw.

As long as your don’t get lost or in trouble, pretty much whatever you like :slight_smile:

Adam

2 Likes

Keaton,

Are you asking us what we do personally? Or just in general?

In general, after the flight our time is ours to decide what to do with (as Adam has described).

Me, personally? The most recent time I was “one and done” was on Friday in Spokane. I checked into the hotel and started my quarterly training on my iPad. I needed a break so I walked to the mall. I picked up lunch while I was out and walked back to the hotel. I still had plenty of daylight left in the day so I decided to hop on a Lime scooter to the indoor climbing gym. I was back at the hotel around 6p and I finished my online training in the spa.

That may not sound as exciting as “swimming with sharks” or “almost getting mugged,” but I would say that is considered par for the course, for me at least.

Tory

2 Likes

I think this has been discussed but how far can you go from the airport? There is a chance you could get called back for another flight even if there is a long layover right?

Alex,

As with many things I think it depends on the airline and the contract. At mine you’re under no obligation to answer your phone once your start a trip so while you can be reassigned it’s difficult for the company to do.

The biggest caveat is (as I said) don’t get lost or too far away that you’re not in position, and well rested, for your next flight.

Adam

Alex,

It can happen, but it’s rare. It’s more common to be rescheduled while on reserve, but line holders can be rescheduled if necessary.

Tory

Keaton,

I am not nearly as adventurous as Adam is on my overnights. I generally go to the gym, take lots of walks, find some dinner and make a few phone calls. The company provides transportation to and from the hotel, any extra transportation is on you.

We do not have an official policy on how far we can go from our overnight hotel, but good judgement should prevail. We have had stories of pilots that went to other countries while on European overnights, then got stuck due to snow storms and the flight ended up cancelling. That is obviously not a good look.

Chris