International Student Looking for Advice

Hi, I’m an international student from Sweden currently in the United States studying in a really good private high school. I will graduate this summer and I have many questions regarding my next steps to becoming an airline pilot. My ultimate goal is to work for a US Airline however if that’s possible is another question. I have talked to several people in universities and flight schools and they say it is possible however there is a very slim chance and I don’t know if I want to take that risk. On the other hand, I have a really strong feeling that everything will work out and this feeling is tempting. What I’m planning on doing is going the university route however I have heard that this route is bad since it is expensive and an aviation degree is useless. Also, I don’t want to waste 4 years of my life studying and graduating when I’m 22 when I could have been in Europe working at 21 or 22 years old. My other options are doing my licenses and ratings in the US and converting them to EASA or just studying totally in Europe however that will now be a little bit hard since I have a US high school diploma

Does anyone have any good advice for me?

I hope my questions were clear enough.

Best,
Armin

A college degree is still preferred at airlines and is a good thing to have in your back pocket just in case. You do not need an aviation degree. Just a four year degree in whatever interests you.

Armin,

The first question is are you a US citizen or have Permanent Resident status. You’ll need to be one or the other to fly for a US airline.

Second if you want to fly in the US you should train in the US. If you want to fly in Europe you should train there. The certification process and training requirements are very different and aren’t easily transferred.

Finally while not required, you will want a 4yr degree of you really want to be successful in aviation.

Adam

Armin,

Do you check the box: “Are you a U.S. Citizen or hold a Permanent Resident status?” That is going to be one of the first few questions that is asked on an application, even for flight training to acquire your certificates.

We ALWAYS recommend attending a university to get a 4-year degree due to a multitude of factors. The best part about the degree part is you can study and focus in whatever you find interesting, fun, or could see yourself doing if something in aviation fell through.

If you obtain your certificates outside of the U.S., you will eventually have to convert them if you return to fly in the U.S.

Brady

Armin,

Right now, the biggest hurdle for you is getting permanent residence status. I would pursue that process as soon as possible because it could take years to obtain. In the meantime, focus on going to college after high school and study something like business, finance, IT, etc. Anything that interests you or provides a good backup career in case flying doesn’t work out. Hopefully by the time you complete your bachelors degree, you may have some progress in the citizenship process. You will need that box checked before pursuing any flight training.

Hannah

Armin,

If you want to study in a university (i.e., Princeton or Embry-Riddle), you can take on any degree you want. If you want it to be an aviation degree, that is fine. We recommend any degree that you find interested in or could see yourself pursuing if something in aviation fell through. I like many, have a business degree from an accredited university. If Aviation Management interests you, take General Education credits, look more into it, and then decide come your Sophomore year in college…

Brady

I came to the US with my mother when I was 12, so I had to ask my mom the details on the process

First you have to apply for a SSN. Then with a SSN you can apply for a work permit. Once you have a SSN and a work permit, you can apply for a green card.
Once you get a green card, you have to wait 5 years to be eligible to apply for naturalization.

Note the “apply for”, not “get”. I came here in 2001, got naturalized in 2009. It all depends on the backlog at INS, just like any other 3 letter govt agency, they dont do anything fast. The only certainty is the 5 year mandatory wait as a green card holder

Roman,

Thanks for this information, as someone who’s unfamiliar with the process, this is good to know.

Brady

Yes but once you have your green card you can fly.

Adam

Hi Armin,

I moved to the US last year on a marriage based green card. (My American wife had enough of the UK). One thing I would say to you is that whatever process you’ll be using to start your work visa/ green card application, start it as soon as possible. We completed every form we received from the USCIS within a day or two of receiving them and then wouldn’t hear anything for several months. At the time the USCIS website said green card applications would take around 12 months when in reality it took over double that!

In the meantime if you have to move back to Sweden, I’d advise you to start and hopefully finish your PPL. All flight hours you earn over there will still count towards your US licenses and your 1500 hours if the airlines are your goal. As far as converting any licenses over to FAA, I believe the only one you can convert with no additional testing or exams is the PPL (Although I’m not 100%, you may want to check).

George

Im sure the immigration law has evolved over the years, your best bet would be to contact INS, or ICE, or USCIS, whatever their abbreviation is these days and find out. There’s probably a FAQ on their website that explains better. But like Adam said, once you got your green card, you’re as good as a citizen when it comes to civil aviation.

Your biggest hurdle is getting the green card. The US is the toughest country in the world to emigrate. You have to find your own way to qualify for the permanent residency process. Everyone’s situation is different. No airlines offer H1-B visa as of now so you gotta get green card through other processes like marriage, family, etc. spend lot of money, wait years for the process. You can still train during the process or just wait but no employer in the US hires or sponsors immigrants. Everyone requires at least a work permit from DHS which in most situations you only qualify as a Green card holder.
I know this all might sound discouraging but it’s fact. You just need to do find out how it will be possible for you to qualify for the Green card.

Oh yea? Based on what? Ever try getting a work permit to fly in Europe or Australia? There’s a reason there are many more European pilots flying in the US than there are US pilots flying in Europe.

Adam

1 Like

So there’s american airlines sponsoring work permit to foreigners? Which airlines?

None that I’m aware of (nor did I say there were). Are there EU carriers that are?

Adam

You said there are more European pilots flying here in the US yourself. So i’m sure they do have either a green card or are already a naturalized citizen. So technically they are already Americans. As far as i know either it be asia, europe or usa, you have to be legal to live and work and then only that country’s airlines are gonna hire you. No airlines sponsors immigrants like other corporations do like tech or banks for example.

No, they were able to obtain Green Cards (doesn’t make them Americans, makes them Permanent Residents) which again is far easier to accomplish in the US than it is in Europe or Australia. Asia is actually relatively easy as they actively recruit US pilots and sponsor their papers.

Adam

1 Like

There are a select few. In the regional environment, GoJet and SkyWest have been sponsoring some Australian and Canadian pilots. I’m not sure of any others though…

-Hannah

1 Like

Piedmont is another regional airline sponsoring Australian and Canadian pilots.

Brady

1 Like

Australia and Canada have agreements with the US that allow for US airlines to sponsor those nationals for work permits, the same does not apply to any other countries.

I would point out that I have never once heard of a US pilot leaving here to go to Canada or Australia to fly, it seems to be a one way street.

3 Likes