International Student Needs Help

Hi,

I am an international student currently in a high school in the US. I am soon going to start my PPL and I later plan on going to a U.S. University to get a R-ATP. However, I have a few questions.

In the University curriculum for R-ATP does it include flying as well or only theory?
How can I get a job in the US after finishing my R-ATP, will any airlines sponsor me?

Best,
Charlie

Charlie,

Please don’t take this wrong but with all due respect, how would we know what the university degree program you’re looking at includes? There are literally dozens throughout the country. I suggest you speak with the universities you’re considering and ask them as they’re the ones who would know.

As for getting a job to fly for a US airline you need to be a citizen or have Permanent Resident status. The airlines will not sponsor you.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Sorry for providing insufficient information. I just have one other question.

When airlines are asking for a 4-year degree, does that degree have to be aviation related?

Best,
Charlie

Charlie,

The airlines don’t care what your field of study is, it’s the degree they want.

Adam

Charlie,

We recommend anything but an aviation degree… why you say? Well if you get furloughed in the future the entire aviation industry is probably in a lull meaning that degree won’t help you get hired anywhere else. If you have a general business, accounting, finance, economics, etc. degree you have a better chance at getting some kind of job to pay the bills in the meantime. Find something that interest you and can provide a good backup.

Hannah