International

This sounds like it could be very simple, but I would still like to ask. I understand that ATP helps their students to become pilots in the US, but will ATP help me on a clear path to become an international pilot, for Air France, Delta, etc.?

Marisa,

No. As per ATP’s website, ATP provides the necessary training to become a Flight Instructor. After that it’s on you to put in the work, network with the right people, keep a clean record and apply to the airlines.

ATP does help a little with obtaining your first airline through various Tuition Reimbursement programs that they have set up with regional airlines. More info on the various types of reimbursement programs is found on ATP’s website.

Tory

1 Like

Marisa,

There’s a couple of things we need to clarify. First off there’s no such thing as an “international pilot”. All airline pilots are licensed and capable of flying internationally. Whether or not you fly internationally is often a matter of which airline you fly for and which aircraft you’re on. There are plenty of Delta pilots who only fly domestically. They either don’t have the seniority or simply choose not to. There are also Regional pilots who fly internationally daily (Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean). So to that degree yes, ATP can help you get hired as a pilot who flies internationally.

But as far as your question goes the airlines you mention a Major airlines. Flying for a Major is the pinnacle of our profession and they hire skilled experienced pilots most of whom have already been flying for the airlines for many years. That experience comes years after you’re done with training so in that regard neither ATP nor any other flight school can help. It’s up to you build good time, experience and relationships necessary to reach that goal.

Adam

3 Likes

Marissa,

Pilots that fly for overseas airlines based in Europe go through a very different training process. While the end result is the same, they have different licenses and they are very difficult and expensive to obtain. If your goal is to fly for a European airline, then you should train in Europe. Be careful though as many of those countries will not hire foreign nationals.

To fly international’s for a US based carrier, you go through the same basic training as any other pilot, then when you get assigned to an aircraft that flies to a particular country, you will receive specific training from the airline in regards to that area of the world.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you! I don’t think learning in Europe is for me.

Thank you! I would like to know more about all of your journeys! This was very helpful.

1 Like

Dear Adam,

Firstly, thanks to you and your cohort for all of your valuable insights — much appreciated!

I’m wondering, in relation to this concept of an “international pilot,” can a pilot with a full FAA Commercial fly internationally? I understand this is an ICAO license, but I’m unclear on how that means it can be used? For instance, can one fly around Europe, or South America with an FAA CPL? I understand that one couldn’t fly for a European airline without an EASA conversion, but could one fly for an American private business jet company between the US and Europe with an FAA CPL? Could one fly private jets recreationally between European countries with an FAA CPL? Do you see what I’m driving at?

Thank you for your insight!

Cheers,
– Rowan

Rowan,

Airline pilots in the US hold FAA ATP licenses only and yes we fly worldwide (there no need to carry a wallet full of licenses for every country you land in, hence the ICAO designation). Same goes for corporate and private. While you don’t need an ATP to fly most jets, just a type rating, many operators require one for insurance purposes.

Adam

Rowan,

An FAA license should be sufficient for most flying around the world. I have flown all over the world using my licenses. I will say that each region of the world requires specific training, which your airline will provide for you.

Fly recreationally within Europe is a very different thing and to be honest, I am not sure about that.

Chris

Thank you for your insights gentlemen!

Anytime, let us know how else we can help you.

Chris