Introduction and General Questions

Hello,
I’m Desmond Waters; I’m a 24 year old rookie with zero real world flight experience. But have lived in the skies behind the pixels of a computer screen. I come from a STRONG military background; my granddad was a pilot in the RAF, dad was a blackhawk pilot in the Army, and step dad is currently a retired Air Force A-10 pilot who flies for American. Sice I was young I always wanted to be a military pilot. But, as I grew older I developed a speech disfluency. It’s not anything that’s seriously debilitating, but without a doubt I would fail a military physical and I’m not in the mood of being needs of the service for 7 years. SO i spent the last decade of my life trying to settle and live outside the wire of the airstrip.

I’m decided to follow my lifelong passion and take to the skies. However, I’m beyond worried that I would not pass a class 1 physical as I’m currently on a non-accepted antidepressant. My goal is to get off my meds ant take to the skies. I’m concerned that I would not pass the physical based solely on this fact. I know there are four that can have special issuance (Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa, and Prozac) and I was wondering If there were any pilots here who have any experience with this?

Also, along with that does anyone have a stammer? I’ve been doing speech therapy for several years and have made tremendous progress and reduced my moments to maybe once or twice a day. I’m just trying to see if I can relate to anyone about this. I want to earn my wings. More than anything I’ve ever wanted since I was a kid. I will do whatever it takes to get in to a regional airline after I get my 1500 hours. Where did everyone start at flying? College? ATP? Military?

Desmond,

Welcome to the forums.

We are not qualified to answer any medically related questions. I recommend that you speak with an FAA medical examiner before starting any flight training though.

All of the mentors on this website did the bulk of their training with ATP. Check out the FAQ section as there is a lot of information there that you may find helpful.

Chris

1 Like