Introduction-Eric

Good Afternoon (Konnichiwa) from Okinawa,

I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself to the forum.

My name is Eric, I am 30 years old and currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan as a Marine. I graduated college in 2011 after attending OCS, spent four years in North Carolina and will finish up my final four years here overseas. I feel that I have done my time in military and am excited for the next phase.

I have been fascinated with planes since I was a kid. I used to be able to name any aircraft I saw flying (DC-10’s, MD-80’s, 727’s) whenever we went to the airport. My Mom flew as a FA with United for 32 years, my Step-Dad also flew with United for 37 years and my Uncle flew for Alaska after being a bush pilot out of Jeunau. Immediate goal is completion of PPL while finish my Activd Service, short term goal is selection and completion of ATP, Mid-Term is getting hired by a Regional and Long-Term is flying a wide body internationally.

I took a Introductory Flight from Kadena Air Base last month and will be doing an 8-week ground school starting next week coupled with getting my PPL in the remaining time I have on island.

I haven’t posted any questions thus far however the mentors and current/former students on this forum have been a great help. Thank you in advance. I look forward to hearing and reading more in the future.

Respectfully,
Eric

Eric,

Welcome to the forums! Thank you for your kind words, we appreciate it.

I read through your plan and it sounds spot on to me, I would not change a thing about it.

Let us know how we can be of assistance to you along the way.

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for the support. I’m sure I will come up with some questions along the way. The feedback and information in here has been very helpful.

Welcome to the forum, Eric.

Tory

Ohayo from the Far East,

28 hours of flying in a Cessna 182P later. It’s been rough trying to get hours, two typhoons (only on weekends of course) and with other weather delays it’s been hard. I’m on pace to have the minimum 75 hours plus my PPL before I leave active duty. My official EAS is 27 July 2021 so still time.

A few questions for the community:

1. My biggest hurdle has been crosswind landings, the winds in Okinawa can be random and just plain mean. Are there others who have struggled with this and how/what did you overcome it?
    Bonus Question 1) What was your biggest challenge during you’re training and how did you overcome it?

2. I plan on taking my time getting my PPL, I am in no rush since the Corps will keep me til my EAS. Are there any negatives with me waiting to take my Checkride long after I meet the pre-requisites day at 70 hours vice 45-60 for example?

I hope everyone had a good Holiday season.

Respectfully,
Eric

Eric,

Crosswind landings are a challenge for most pilots. I know professionals who have been flying for years who still aren’t great at it. You’ve only got 28hrs and it sounds like those have been spread out. While you can take as long as you like you need to know you’re really not doing yourself any favors. Flying skills are built one upon the next. Without consistency it’s very easy to move step forward but slip 2 back. There’s a reason why the airlines, the military and yes ATP train daily.

I appreciate you’re not in a rush but it’s very difficult to make meaningful progress with casual sporadic training. Want to improve your skills? You need to fly more.

Adam

Eric,

It sounds to me like you are not flying nearly enough. 28 hours in ten months is barely flying. You need to get up into the air much more. It isn’t about being in a rush, it is about continuously building your skills and not constantly having to re-learn things.

I would take your check ride when your CFI feels you are ready for it. Again, skills can erode over time, so when you are ready, take it.

Chris

Eric,

I agree with Chris and Adam. I’m not surprised that you’re struggling with crosswind landings. 28 hours over the span of 10 months is awful, for lack of a better term. You’re not even half way from reaching the average time it takes to get a PPL. Everyone struggles with crosswind landings. Repetition is the one thing you haven’t experienced yet. You need to be flying a minimum of two times a week.

Tory

My biggest issue with crosswind landings when I started was putting too much aileron wind correction in. Made my final approaches a little wild until I figured out what I was doing wrong.