Is this okay?

Before I go off to flight school in 2 years or so, I really want to try some other jobs since I’ll be an airline pilot for the rest of my life. Would the airlines be fine with me trying new experiences?(probably one more job)

Dakota,

That depends on what the other jobs are. If it is something respectable, sure, but if it is running a drug cartel, then probably not. Keep in mind that you will be losing two years of seniority, which will have a major impact on your career.

Chris

Dakota,

As Chris said, as long as it’s nothing offensive then sure, in fact I think it’s a great idea. I actually believe having a “real job” before you start your airline career should be a prerequisite. I fly with so many young pilots who have no appreciation for how great this job really is because they have no point of reference. They moan and groan about this and that. Why? Because yes compared to sitting in your room playing X-Box while mom brings you a grilled cheese sometimes flying can seem like a chore but compared to EVERY other real job on the planet it’s pretty awesome.

Adam

1 Like

You mean two years of seniority at my current employment?

Ive only had two jobs since ive been 15 (currently 18.) And I’ve always wanted to work with computers and I love to build them. I was hoping I could get into a little of that before I head off to flight school.

Dakota,

I mean that by delaying your entry into the airlines, you will be losing out on two years of your career and seniority at the airlines, which will have a significant impact on your career.

Chris

1 Like

Oh I hear ya. I can’t even go to ATP for at least 2 years since I’m in college.

I suspect that in two years your priorities could change. I would simply recommend that you focus on your education for now as your GPA will be important when you apply to the airlines.

Chris

2 Likes

Dakota,

That depends on what the other jobs are. If it is something respectable, sure, but if it is running a drug cartel, then probably not. Keep in mind that you will be losing two years of seniority, which will have a major impact on your career.

Chris

2 Likes

Good and you should. Life is short young man, try EVERYTHING!

Adam

1 Like

I so agree! Having been in construction my whole life until now, sometimes I just shake my head at what the 23 year old pilots fuss about!
There’s aggravating things about this job, no doubt, but compared to the rigors of my life before it’s a cake walk!