Time

So I was wondering, what’s the maximum total on duty time allowed for a pilot? Also what’s the maximum flight time per day allowed for a pilot? Lastly if you work for an airline that goes over seas and the flight time exceeds the allowable daily flight time, is there separate crews on board? If so are the non operating pilots still getting paid before and after they’re flying? My apologies for the multiple questions

Ivan,

That’s not a simple question to answer. A few years ago the FAA came out with a new FAR (Federal Aviation Regulation) Part 117. Part 117 defines duty and rest periods taking into account many variables. The time of day you start flying, the number of legs or segments you fly and in the case of longer flights the number of crewmembers which can range from 2, 3 and 4 (3 and 4 being augmented). The short answer is the flight time can range anywhere from 8 to 17hrs. Regardless all crewmembers are getting paid for the entire trip.

Adam

1 Like

Ivan,

Adam gave you the break down and as you can see, it is complicated. I tend to answer this question by referring to the old rules, as the new ones are just so incredibly complex. Basically, a two pilot crew can be on duty for 16 hours, with flight time limited to eight hours. Anything beyond that will require additional pilot crew members.

Chris

1 Like