Luggage?

Hi everyone,

I’ve no desire to reignite the great headset/flashlight/sunglasses incident of 2021 :laughing:, but was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a roller board and a filght bag that I can use for many years to come?

Essentially, I am trying to put out some money up front for a few things that I will use long-term, and which will last, while I still have an income. Plus, it seems that there are some overnights while at ATP, which is cool. I’ve read that Luggage Works is good, as is Brightline.

Safe flying and thanks for your thoughts!

Finn

1 Like

Finn,

Here you go:

LuggageWorks: industry standard. Indestructible. Tells the world you’re a pilot.

Brightline: excellent quality. Tells the world you might be a pilot? But you also reject tradition and you’re a peckerhead. Always accompanied by a backpack, headphones, questionable haircut and a NorthFace jacket.

TravelPro: ok quality. Tells the world you’re a flight attendant.

Costco/Marshall’s/TJMaxx special: cheap. Tells the world you have no money after flight school. Good chance Capt will buy you lunch, especially if it’s got duct tape on it or the handle is broken.

Adam

7 Likes

Hey Adam - that’ brillant.

A much-needed laugh, plus great info! Thanks for sharing. I lean towards the TJMaxx special just so I can get lunch.

Finn

Finn,

I am a LuggageWorks fan myself. Brightline makes good flight bags, but LuggageWorks makes the best overnight bag (if you have the money).

I’m currently using a LuggageWorks Executive 22” 737 bag. I am on my 5th year with it. It’s a little rough around the edges because we used to be required to stow our overnight bags inside the cargo pits (and we all know how “gentle” Ramp Agents are with bags). But I’m still using it so that says something. It’s a lot more reliable than a TravelPro that’s for sure. It’s rare to see a TravelPro without a broken zipper or a stuck handle. Flight Attendants hate them so I’ve avoided them even though it’s what our Company “supplies” at the company store.

I’m sticking with LuggageWorks from here on out. Maybe when I make it to the majors I’ll treat myself to a Carbon 2.0 bag :man_shrugging:t2:

Tory

I think Strongbag is most indestructible, but it’s heaviest

Luggage Works - steel frame is standard and lasts a long time. Sometimes they do get bent somehow.

Anything Plastic Frame will break but is lighter and cheaper so some ppl go that route.

Adam’s breakdown is hilariously accurate. Depending what plane you fly or nonrev on matters a lot. The bigger bags won’t fit in the CRJ overhead bins and it’s annoying having to put in cargo bay.

Chris F

I love my StrongBags cooler. I’m sure their roller bags are built just as well. I also see that they sell Like-new roller bags which is cool!

Finn,

I am reminded of the line from the original Highlander movie; “In the end, there can be only one”.

There is no other proper suitcase for a pilot to carry.

Chris

1 Like

Anyone want a brightline? :smiling_face_with_tear: I’ll give you a good deal.

1 Like

I’m sorry Jonathan. I’m sure it’s a fine bag. Just don’t check the other boxes and you’ll be fine :wink:

Adam

Hi Tory,

As always, many thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate hearing from everyone. Sounds like LuggageWorks is the clear winner. Hearing that you are on year five is a good endorsement. Now a Carbon 2.0… sounds nice!

Safe flying!

Finn

1 Like

Hi Chris,

I loved Adam’s breakdown as well! It does sound like LuggageWorks is the standard. I’ve had some steel frame luggage (I travel quite a bit for work), and it does seem they get bent from time to time. Still, they have held up the best. I will check out Stongbag as well. Many thanks for the feedback.

Finn

Nice! I will have to look at the cooler. I intend on brown bagging it to save money.

Finn

Hi Chris,

“…no other proper suitcase for a pilot to carry.” Well, how does one argue with that endorsement? It does sound like LuggageWorks is the clear winner in this category. As always, many thanks for the feedback; truly appreciated.

Safe flying!

Finn

When I got my first job with Great Lakes my mentor gave me his old luggage works bag. That thing had 12 years of abuse on it and had been around the world on a 777 more times than anyone knows. I used it for four years with no issues other than some of the zippers had lost their pull tabs and the wheels began to squeak so loud it was annoying and no amount of wd-40 would make it go away permanently.

When my plane went down for heavy maintenance and I had a month of no flying scheduled I sent the bag back to luggage works for a refurbishment. For $150 they sent me a loaner bag, gave me a shipping label to send my bag in using the box from the loaner, and a shipping label to return the loaner when my bag was done. When my bag was returned it looked like a brand new bag.

I can’t recommend Luggage Works enough. Great bag and great company.

1 Like

That’s a great endorsement. I didn’t know LW offered that service.

Oh definitely. Had mine done years ago. What was nice was the pilot shop in IAH was an authorized service center. So if you were passing through (which I often was) you could swing by, they’d give you the loaner so you just transferred you clothes and went on your merry way. Not sure if they’re still there but you got the bag back like new.

Adam

2 Likes

The Luggage Works refurbishment service is frequently called “sending your bag to rehab”. They always come back looking brand new.

Adam,

Thank you for the laugh this morning.

Derek