May Reserve / Actually not too bad!

On Reserve again in May (not by choice). Staffing has improved so actually didn’t get called too often and when I did some short fill-ins.

May 1-5: OFF
May 6: HNL-KOA-HNL-KOA-OGG-HNL-KOA-HNL
May 7: RESV No Call
May 8: HNL-OGG-ITO-OGG-HNL
May 9: RESV No Call
May 10: HNL-ITO-HNL
May 11: HNL-LIH-HNL-KOA-HNL-ITO-HNL
May 12: HNL-KOA-HNL-KOA-HNL-KOA-HNL
May 13-14: RESV No Call
May 15: HNL-OGG-ITO-OGG-HNL-OGG-HNL
May 16: OFF
May 17: HNL-OGG-HNL-OGG-LIH-HNL
May 18: HNL-KOA-OGG-HNL
May 19: HNL-OGG-HNL-OGG-HNL-KOA-LIH-HNL
May 20: RESV No Call
May 21-23: OFF
May 24: HNL-LIH-HNL *Line Check
May 25: HNL-ITO-HNL-OGG-ITO-HNL
May 26-27: RESV No Call
May 28: HNL-LIH-HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL
May 29-30: OFF
May 31: HNL-KOA-HNL-OGG-HNL-KOA-HNL *Over 75 Pay

Flew 13 Days. Off/Resv 18 Day. Flew 68.1hrs. Pay 81.2

1 Like

Man, this is awesome. Thanks so much for taking the time to type this up and share it!

…here comes the naive question: what does “line check” mean?

Garret,

As part of the airlines training programs and AQP (Advanced Qualification Program) in addition to yearly recurrent training all Capt must get a yearly “line check”. On a standard line check a check airman (or the FAA) will ride in the jumpseat for a flight (or 2) and you observe the crew in the real world. You see the reality is while everything is scripted in the sim “things” happen in the real world on the line and the company and FAA want to observe how a you handle things in real life. In most cases it’s no big deal provided you’re a “standard” pilot and fly the way you should. Now my line check last month was particularly interesting because the check airman was new and was in need of an FAA observation of him DOING a line check. The check airman in this case flew as my FO and the FAA observed him observing me. Fun times :slight_smile:

Adam

“Line Check” means having a training pilot ride in the cockpit and observe the crew working. While first officers generally do not receive line checks, Captains receive them every six to twelve months. Now of course if the Captain is being evaluated, the FO is also being evaluated.

Ah! Thanks guys this all makes sense now. Also, that’s quite the memorable experience, Adam haha.