Military flight training

Hi, if someone were to be selected and go through flight training with the military after college, to what extent will a PPL have in that decision, and exactly what type of FAA licensure are you qualified for after doing so? I understand ATP is a business, however I’m just doing research to see what and if someone who becomes a military pilot qualifies for CPL, IR, ATP, etcetera without having to follow along a certain civilian training program, and if a PPL helps you in their decision-making process of become a military pilot.

Jacob,

I’m no authority but I do work with many former military pilots and I’ve had many conversations with them. First having your PPL will do zero to help you get a pilot slot. Military flight training is very different and from what I’ve been told they’re often happier to train people from scratch. I have however been told the Air Guard does give preference to licensed pilots but it’s to those with advanced ratings.

Depending on the type of aircraft and flying you’ve done most pilots leave the service with the equivalent of an FAA Commercial Pilot License and only requires some paperwork. To get your ATP cert however you’d still need to complete an ATP-CTP course, written and checkride but military pilots can get a reduction in the required hours to 750.

As I believe we’ve told you if you have a desire to serve the country then by all means but if you’re simply looking for free flight training most military pilots would tell you this is not the way to go.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you, Adam!

Do you know if military flying experiences accredit for having a Private License to fly if you had your own airplane, as well?

Also, do Student Pilot Certificates expire after 1-2 years?

Jacob,

I believe Adam just said that having your PPL doesn’t matter if training is done through military. That’s because you will be required to go through their syllabus regardless of any ratings help upon entry.

Also, here’s a screenshot that answers your other question about student pilot certificates.

Tory

Jacob,

From the FAR:
Military-Trained.** A U.S. military pilot or former U.S. military pilot, with a minimum of 750 hours of total time as a pilot, and who has not been removed from flying status for lack of proficiency or because of a disciplinary action involving aircraft operations, may apply for an ATP Certificate with an airplane category multiengine class rating or an ATP Certificate concurrently with an airplane type rating if the pilot presents:
a) An official Form DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, indicating that the person was honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces or an official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the pilot is currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces; and
b) An official U.S. Armed Forces record that shows the person graduated from a U.S. Armed Forces undergraduate pilot training school and received a rating qualification as a military pilot.

I see nothing regarding the hours must exclusively be all military flying so I’m thinking any time you have will count.

Adam

Jacob,

Military licenses do not afford you civilian flying privileges. However, the FAA will generally grant a commercial license based upon having military flight certificates, this would enable you to fly as a civilian.

Chris

So for instance, say I wanted to fly private. I would need to afford myself to acquire a private’s written and checkride if I already have my militaries or how does that work?

Jacob,

If you fly in the military the FAA will convert that flight time and training into a comparable FAA license. I don’t believe there’s anything for a Private. It would be Commercial.

Adam

Good info. Should I study FAA knowledge tests for the military or do the military aptitude tests?

Jacob,

For the military, I would recommend speaking to a recruiter and asking them what is best. Make sure you are speaking to an offficer recruiter and not an enlisted one.

Chris

Jacob,

I’m more than certain the fine folks in military flight training will provide you with all training materials and the proper curriculum. I mean if you’re going to be in the infantry they don’t expect you to get a gun license first :wink:

Adam

Thanks Chris, Adam & Tory,

With the number of military pilot slots out there it really is a viable option so I appreciate you guys not batting a blind eye to the situation and giving me some real info on how to get there. Shall I choose not to go that route I’d always love to finish my professional pilotry at atp.

No problem Jacob but if you’re really serious you really need to talk to a recruiter and visit some of the military forums out there.

Adam

Jacob,

The Mentors provided some great advice to you. I would add: get your private pilot’s license to make sure you actually like flying. Can’t speak for the AF, but when I went through the Navy would waive your IFS portion of flight school if you already had a pilot’s license. Again, get with an OFFICER recruiter and get the real deal. If you’re talking about the Air Guard, like others said, a PPL is close to required.

Dave