Military Vs. University

I joined the military right out of high school. I am now 26 currently married with three kids. I want to fly and i am dedicated to the fact that being a pilot is not just a job, but a way of life. My question is, will my military service be enough to justify not having a college degree?

I was a Cav. Scout in the Army and my only interaction with flight was as a passenger or jumping from a black hawk during Air Assault training.

Also, to clarify i would like to work for the MAJORS as people have called it in this forum, however my main goal is simply to fly and be able to support my family while i do this. I WANT TO FLY!!

David,

While everyone respects and appreciates your service, the fact is when you apply for a pilot job at a Major airline there’s a little box that asks “Do you have a 4yr degree?”. If the answer is no then you can’t check the “Yes” box and you application goes to the bottom of the pile. If you simply want to fly then you’ll have no issues getting to a Regional but if a Major is your goal you’re going to need to have that degree.

Adam

1 Like

David,

The majors want to see a college degree. Military service is admirable, but it is not a substitute for a degree. You will not need a degree to fly for the regionals.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you both for your quick responses.