My Student Schedule! 2/7-2/13

I see that Pilot Mentor’s post their airline schedule, and I’ve seen several questions asking about what a day looks like as an ATP student. I came in with my PPL so I’m starting on instrument but I imagine a private schedule could be similar.

Questions about weekend flying, I did not have to fly this past weekend. My schedule requires 11 hrs (sim and plane combined) of training per week and I surpassed that. Not sure how other centers are but here, if you make or exceed your training time by Friday, you get the weekend off.

M 2/7: 3.9 hrs logged
7am - arrived at the training center.
7:30 - Check in, scanning my documents, and introductions.
8am - Simulator session, introduction to G1000 avionics (i’ve only flown 6 pack) and some IFR basics.
10am- Quick meal break.
11am- Flights: VFR to a local airport to do a few TOLs, then we filed an IFR XC, did an approach, went missed, then IFR with an approach back at base.
4:30pm- On the ground
4:45pm- Parked and secured. Debriefing.
5pm- left the training center

T: 2.8 hrs logged
12pm- Arrived at the training center.
12:30- IFR XC w/ instrument approaches on an IFR flight plan
3:30pm- back at base, tied down, and debriefing.
4:30pm- Left the training center.

W: 4.1 hrs logged
5:30am- Arrived at the training center
6am- Instrument XC, instrument approach, published missed, hold, return to base.
8:30am- Back at base, tied down, and debriefing
9am- Got an hour of down time for a quick bite to eat and some review.
10am- Local IFR, DME arcs, VOR approaches, RNAV approaches.
12:30pm- Back at base, tied down, and debriefing
1pm- Left the training center

R: 0.0 hrs logged
OFF- It was a very nice weather day with low winds and clr skies and a student needed to do a solo, so they used my time slot to do that. :slight_smile:

F: 2.5 hrs logged
8am- Arrived at the training center.
8:30am- IFR XC, much of the same so far.
11:30am- Tied down and debriefing.
12pm- Instructor and I were both hungry so he delayed the sim session for 30mins to eat.
12:30pm- Sim session working on ODP, SIDS, LDA approach, holds.
2pm- Sim shutdown.
2:15pm- Left the training center.

Sa:
OFF

Su:
OFF

9 Likes

Lucas,

Awesome insight. Thank you for that!

Ben

Nice write up. Thank you for sharing!

Tory

Are Sim hours logged too? Do they count for something?

I see on the website ATP states 295 total time but 50 of it is Sim hours. Surely that doesn’t count toward your 1500 hours needed for the airlines correct?

Sorry, I know it’s a bit off topic but I do appreciate the insight. More weekly schedules in review like this would be awesome. Really gives the program some perspective to people looking into it. Thank you.

Raffaele,

In this schedule, I am only showing actual airplane time in the “time logged” section. All sim sessions are logged, and they do count towards a rating in certain amounts.

As far as counting toward your 1500? No. You’ll need the full amount of real airplane time. UNLESS the simulator is a class D sim. Which 99.99% of training sims are not, and they cost millions. To my knowledge, the only places that have those sims are the airline training centers, and places that do type ratings like Flight Safety.

Ill continue to post my student schedule so you can see what you might expect at ATP.

1 Like

Lucas,

Thank you for sharing your schedule, we have never had a student do so before, it is much appreciated.

Chris

And ATP :slight_smile:

Adam

Lucas,
What an awesome write up! You’re right, we get asked what a typical day is like all the time. It’s best we get a behind the scenes look from students like you going through the program in real time! We really appreciate it!
-Hannah

Hi Raffaele,

Some of your sim hours will be counted toward the simulated instrument time for your instrument checkride, and some of it will count toward the 50 hours of simulator training time for your commercial checkride.

Alex

1 Like