Need Advice On Schooling & Piloting

My name’s Abel, graduated two years ago from high school. My dad keeps pressuring me to go to college but I haven’t cause he says I have to get a degree to become a pilot but like I say, why would I need a degree in something unrelated to piloting? I’m lost and don’t know what’s the next step which is why I haven’t gone to college. I bearly have money to spend.

1. Is ATP for me? The closest school is halfway across the state. Also, I know they guarantee you a Flight Instructor Job but I don’t see myself being that. Would I be allowed to get my hours elsewhere say in a Skydiving Company?

2. Will I struggle financially? I come from a family that doesn’t have much to spare so I just want to make the right choice.

3. Advice of your own, personal suggestions? What should I do right now, I’m currently not working or going to college since I’m lost on the pathway to becoming a pilot. I feel every second that passes by is wasted.

4. Lastly, this is a odd one but I’m mostly shy when it comes to socializing. Should I worry about this? Even when I was working at a gas station I would puke in the mornings due to all the nervous feelings I had towards being a cashier. I’ve always wanted to be a pilot but I’m afraid of speaking to large groups of people face to face. It’s frustrating that I struggle with this but should I worry? This is the reason I do not want to be a flight instructor.

Abel,

Let’s get to your questions:

1. Only you can decide if ATP, or any other flight school, is right for you. Check out our FAQ section as there is a good list of questions in there that will help you know what to look for when comparing flight schools. Yes, you could obtain your hours elsewhere.

2. That depends on you and what your expenses are. Do not expect to be having meals at Morton’s Steakhouse, but you should be able to manage. The first few years of being a pilot are certainly not the most lucrative financially, but there are many thousands before you who have managed to figure it out.

3. I do not mean to sound harsh here, but it does not look good to have a 20 year old who is not working and not in school because “he is lost”. You either need to get yourself into a school, or start working. This is just general life advice, it doesn’t really matter if you want to be a pilot or not, there is just simply no valid reason the be 20 years old and not doing something.

4. As a pilot, I do not speak to large groups of people, but I do interact with dozens of people per day. In many ways pilots are the face of the airlines, you will interact with nearly every work group at the airport, with customers and be expected to make PAs to the customers on your flight. You will interact with far more people than a flight instructor will. If you are so concerned about being a CFI because of the one on one interaction, being an airline pilot will be much more difficult for you.

Chris

As a f16 pilot 4 the air force I think u should get a freelance instructor
There cheaper and faster

Nate,

Just curious, how much experience do you have with flight training outside of the military?

Chris

1 Like

Abel,

First I want to say if you want to be successful as a pilot, your dad is right and a degree will only help. While not a requirement, the Majors still desire one and having it will move you up the food chain. It’s also a good idea to have a Plan B. As for your questions:

1. People travel across the country to train with ATP so not sure why across the state is an issue? As for whether ATP is right for you, that is up to you? ATP is not like most flight schools. It was designed BY airline pilots to TRAIN airline pilots. The training is instance and requires a tremendous amount of hard work and discipline. A frequent questions is “can I keep up?”. That begs a greater question that if you don’t believe you can keep up or are up for the challenge what makes you think you’ll be able to in actual airline training. ATP prepares you for that environment. After you’re done you can build hours any way you like.

2. Probably. Flight training isn’t cheap and you won’t have any income. For most people that means a large loan. While ATP instructors can obtain Tuition Reimbursement you’re still going to need to tighten your belt. Many goals in life require sacrifice. Only you can decide if it’s worth it?

3. You should be either going to school or working to earn money to pay for your flight training. But you know that.

4. While you don’t have to speak in front of large groups my biggest concern would be your airline interviews. There’s usually a panel of 4-6 pilots who’ll all be staring at you asking you a variety of questions. Some will be nice, others won’t. Even people who are confident speaking crumble. It’s something you will need to work on.

Adam

Nate,

I mean no disrespect, but with your English skills (or lack there of) I’m seriously doubting you’re an F16 pilot in the Air Force.

Adam

Abel,

A degree is highly recommended. Though not required to be hired at a regional airline, most major airlines want to see their applicants with a degree. It doesn’t need to be aviation related. Pick anything you’re interested in. If you can’t afford to pay for school out of pocket, that’s what financial aid is for.

1. I don’t know. Is it? You should be able to answer that question yourself. All of the information you need to know about the program is online. You can also schedule a tour at any of the facilities. You can get your hours however you’d like, but you want quality flight experience. It’s not just about quantity. I would not recommend that the bulk of your time come from being a jump pilot. You need to operate in a more complex environment. Jump pilots only fly when the weather is clear (VFR). If your goal is to fly for an airline, you will need to be proficient in instrument flying (IFR). I know you don’t want to do it, but being a flight instructor is an invaluable experience. If that doesn’t suit you, there are other jobs that offer IFR experience like small cargo.

2. Depends. If money is already tight, then yes. Will you make enough to survive? Yes.

3. Get your degree. Take some intro flight lessons. That should help you decide if this career is right for you.

4. This is concerning. Pilots don’t have to be outgoing, but they need to be competent and confident. If you get that much anxiety in a safe environment, I can only imagine how nervous you will be in an airplane, trying to communicate on the radio with ATC. I am a very confident public speaker, and even I got nervous when I was learning how to communicate on the radio. Each pilot is different. Some pick it up quickly. Others need a lot of practice before it become second nature. You’re going to have to find a way to overcome this social anxiety or find a different career.

Tory

Nate,

MS flight sim doesn’t count…

Tory

1 Like