No More Guaranteed Instructor Job?

Nick,

The Airforce is a fantastic institution and if you have the desire to do the work and commit yourself to defending your country then by all means. However if you ask ANYONE in the military they’ll tell you joining to learn to fly is not a good idea. There’s a huge responsibility that goes with service not to mention the fact you could go to war.

If you want to be an Airforce pilot then join but if you want to be an airline pilot go to flight school.

Adam

2 Likes

Nick,

The AF route is a minimum 8 yr commitment. If the intention is to earn pilot certificates, I would not advise the AF route. You’re signing up to serve, not to fly.

Tory

1 Like

I had zero flight experience when I started last week, but spoke with someone who went a different route as he tried to save a little money by getting his PPL and Instruments at a different school and coming to ATP for multi, commercial and CFi. While he did save a bit of money by going that route, he said that it took longer and the planes he flew in that school were nowhere near as nice or new as the ones we fly here. That might be something else to consider as you compare programs.

Thanks for all the info and conversation, everyone. It’s been insightful.

When did this change occur, I am confused as to whether I fall into the category of a guaranteed instructor job or not. Is there any way to see on the student extranet? Not that it will change much, but this was one of the deciding factors in me choosing ATP over their competition.

May 5. All those who have made their deposit before May 5 are guaranteed the CFI position.

Tory

1 Like

Matthew and all,

Again this is an unfortunate but necessary change to the program. In light of the fact the airline industry is literally facing the most devastating challenge in history, it’s really a relatively minor program change. Further now ATP is offering all grads the ATP-CTP to compensate. There will still be instructor slots available it simply means the competition for those slots will be a little stiffer and yes you’ll have to work a little harder if you want one.

While I understand this is a great perk to have in your back pocket, the fact is many ATP students don’t choose to instruct for ATP. Many instruct elsewhere closer to home or seek other opportunities. What’s important is the program itself, the level of instruction, ATPs partnerships and reputation, none of that has changed and there’s still no better route to an airline career.

Adam

1 Like

Got a question, I’ve been considering the possibility after all the training at ATP and doing the CFI route, to maybe look into corporate flying? I think most I’ve read on forums that go through the ATP program end up time-building as a CFI, but is there anyone on this forum that is a corporate pilot that went through ATP that I can maybe link with via email and get some personal questions? If that email link didn’t work, feel free to reach out at friesb@alumni.psu.edu.

I’ve found this article from Pilot Central, has anyone read it before or is it something creditable? (being 1.5 years old): 8 Keys to Landing a Corporate Pilot Job

Brady,

I’ve never flown corporate but I have many friends who do. I’d say the article is pretty dead on. It really is mostly about who you know.

Adam

1 Like

Brady,

I worked in a few FBOs that had several corporate flight departments in them, the article is right on. I interviewed for one corporate position based solely on the fact that the secretary in the building recommended me to the chief pilot there. Always be nice to the secretaries.

Corporate flying is a completely different animal than airline flying, but it offers some unique experiences that the airlines do not. Make sure to join the ATP Alumni Association when you are finished as we post low time corporate jobs in there every week.

Chris

1 Like

Once upon a time I enrolled at ATP, paid my deposit and had a start date. Then AA went bankrupt. I got nervous, forfeited my deposit and backed out. Four or Five years later (I can’t remember) I again paid my deposit, got a start date, and began the program and ultimately finished with everything but CFI ratings. Had I not backed out the first time there’s a good chance I would’ve finished in time to get hired at a regional before the 1500hr rule took affect and be who knows where in my career these days. Getting cold feet based on one airlines performance is one of my biggest regrets. Only you can decide what’s best for you with the promise of a “guaranteed” instructor position being gone.

I didn’t read the article posted here because I’m strapped for time at the moment but I fly corporate. I would strongly say that most (not all) corporate jobs are achieved because someone knew someone at the company and recommended the person for the interview. This is a true story for me with my first job at Great Lakes Airlines and my current corporate gig. GET OUT THERE AND NETWORK!

I appreciate both your responses @Chris and @Adam, my DPE from my PPL is a long-time family friend of mine, he flies for a corporate company (undisclosed for privacy reason). I’m kind of looking to maybe see about getting a type rating at the end of my training for the CE560/560XL and maybe see about flying for said company. Luckily, I have also been able to play tennis against the CEO of the company few years ago when I was in my “prime,” and he has been aware of my motive to pursue professional flying.

I’ve read on another forum about the opinions regarding 100-hr multi-engine program and may be considering the switch to get more hours with complex in the event this opportunity exists. With this coronavirus, my PPL DPE has been difficult to contact because he is not flying right now and his phone is turned off. I do plan to meet with him and discuss what the future might hold and see what he recommends if that is the route I truly do pursue after ATP graduation. @Arthur, did the company you fly corporate with pay for your type rating training or was that something you had to do personally before you got the interview?

Brady

My company paid for the first type rating (PIC CE-500 series) when they hired me at 600 hours and six months later paid for the second type rating (CE-650) when I had 900 hours.

1 Like

Is it possible the guaranteed cfi job will return in the future…

And then atp will go down a list of who enrolled first after the shut off may 5th date… And start hiring from that back log/offer them poisitons?

Anything is possible. If they do I’m certain they will do their best to accommodate seniority. More important ATP will need instructors. Work hard, do well and opportunities should present themselves.

Adam

1 Like

It is possible that the guaranteed instructor position will return, but I do not think it will be any time soon.

To be clear, ATP will still be hiring plenty of instructors in the future, they will be hiring the best of their students, which I think is a good thing.

1 Like

I’ve recently been researching about making this an additional career for myself (going on my introduction flight on Monday) and have been reading on this forum constantly, thanks to all of you pilots who contribute. I talked with ATP today, they said they would guarantee to provide 10-15 CFI job offers upon “graduation”, although I would still need to apply for said positions. So it sounds like their verbiage has changed but I think their intent is still to flow the recent CFI ticket holders to CFI positions within ATP. Just my .02

Mike,

ATP will continue to hire their best students to fill the role of instructors, it is simply not guaranteed anymore. I for one like this approach as it encourages students to really do their best in the program to make sure that they are considered for an instructor position.

Chris

1 Like