Non-Scheduled Attrition

I noticed some airline profiles on Airline pilot central refer to “scheduled” and “non-scheduled attrition.”
My assumption for the non-scheduled attrition are pilot that cannot maintain their medical. What are some other reasons for “Non-Scheduled attrition.”

Joshua,

Scheduled attrition is people retiring at the mandatory retirement age, or people flowing through to a major airline at their designated time. Unscheduled attrition is pilots leaving for medical reasons, or leaving for another airline that is not part of a pre-determined flow through.

Chris

1 Like

Joshua,

There are many reasons for “non-scheduled” attrition. As you said loss of medical is a biggy. Some just choose early retirement but others are disciplinary or training issues.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, how often do pilots have issues with the training? I can’t imagine folks getting out of practice or anything like that. I’ve heard you all talk about an annual assessment. Do pilots often fail said assessment?

Joshua,

I have known very few pilots to have issues with airline training. Typically by the time a pilot makes it to the airlines he or she knows what they are doing.

Chris

Aweseome, thank you for the replies all. They are much appreciated.

Joshua,

Not a question of being out of practice. We get many posts from people complaining that they pilots should be allowed to fly beyond 65 as long as they can keep they’re medical. The fact is for many as they age they slow and their cognitive skills diminish making recurrent a challenge. While it doesn’t happen often it does happen.

Adam

1 Like

Is that when they choose early retirement? Or perhaps they go into a different line of work? I know the recommendation is to pick a degree in something other than aviation in the event something like “not being able to qualify medically” happens. If you pick a degree in, say engineering, the odds of you getting an engineering job 30 years after graduating from college and not having any engineering experience is slim. Have you heard of pilots having trouble picking up jobs post-airline-life?

Joshua,

Some do, some don’t. I’ve got 10yrs left and I’m painfully aware of that fact. I hesitate to call people foolish but if someone thinks when they turn 65 they’re going get hired with a 45 year old accounting degree they’re probably kidding themselves. For some they’ve planned their retirements well and don’t need to think about anything other than golf and fishing but for others they do need to plan early. That may mean a side job or business. I’m not a financial planner but it’s ALWAYS a good idea to have a backup plan for the unexpected but a life after flying is also a good plan to have.

Adam

Adam,

I can imagine it being quite daunting looking at retiring early, and I’m sure pilots do their due dilligence and set aside a good chunk of pay throughout their career in preparation for the unexpected or normal retirement. Is there a common part/full-time job pilots typically gravitate towards upon retiring (early or on time) from the airlines?

Joshua,

Yes, it can be difficult for pilots to find jobs post-retirement. We have a unique skill set that is not very transferable. That being said, most of us work until the age of 65 and then truly retire. I for one have no desire to work past the age of 65 and hope that my retirement planning will allow me to retire as planned.

Chris

Joshua,

Short answer is no. Some stay in some sort of aviation related field, but most do something entirely different. It’s up to the individuals situation and what they like. I know retired pilots who are Drs, lawyers, restaurant owners, musicians, you name it.

Adam

When Adam retires he’s gonna work on being a paddle board champion :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

There is a “Senior Masters” division :wink:

Adam

1 Like