Opting out of MEI?

Hello,

I’ve completed 6/6 of my checkrides the first try. I have the choice to either do my MEI or not, and I’d get some money back.

I have a combination of factors going into this…one is I’m strapped for cash as due to Covid the program took about 2 months longer than expected (rent still comes on the first of the month and getting some money back would definitely help me out of the hole I’ve found myself in lol), I’d ideally like to keep my perfect record without risking it if I don’t need to, and my girlfriends cousin has a Cessna 310 that he flies to client meetings often that he said I could act as PIC with him when I want to FREE OF CHARGE.

I’ve already been hired at a mom and pop and they don’t have a multi. I spent a few years as a professional certificated teacher and have a masters, so I have some stuff for the ole resume.

I know people may say it’s just another thing for your resume, which I totally get…but I guess my question is do the airlines care more about the ticket or the fact that you have multi hours? As far as I know my flight school currently has no plan to get a multi, and the rate I get there hourly is $10/hr more than any other place I’ve found locally.

Would love to hear what the airline guys say and also anyone else can definitely chime in! I’m so thankful that ATP afforded me the opportunities it did I honestly feel like my dreams are within reach.

Thanks!

Christopher,

While I’m always a fan of extra letters on a resume the real benefit to having an MEI is to build ME time without paying for it. Sounds like you have that taken care of. The airlines really don’t care if you have an MEI or not as long as you have the required time and ratings.

Your call but no it’s not really necessary.

Adam

thank you sir

Christopher,

I completely understand the financial aspect and at the end of the day, you have to do what you have to do. Do keep in mind thought hat even though you are 6/6 on the check rides now, there will be many more check rides in your future, so the threat of a failure is always there.

It does sound like you have a path to build multi time, so you probably will not need the MEI certificate. I do think that the airlines generally care more about the hours than the MEI certificate, but it does look good to have on a resume.

Chris

Thank you Chris. I crunched some numbers and between my bills and what I have, I really don’t have a choice, unfortunately.

Completely understandable. You can always get it at a later time if you feel the need to do so.

1 Like

Yes. Thanks for all the help, hopefully I can still get a “program complete” and be able to utilize their alumni resources. I suppose I’ll have to ask them.

Christopher of course you can.

Adam

1 Like

Alumni resources will certainly be available to you. Make sure to take advantage of the free CFI renewal they offer.

Christopher,
Just curious - has ATP given you a dollar figure for the MEI reimbursement? If so, how much?
thanks,
Kyle

Christopher and Kyle,

Check for sure with ATP admin, but the reimbursement is $6,000 for not doing the MEI training. If your goal is to recoup the money for financial reasons, I get that. If the concern is simply not taking another check ride, I would strongly recommend flying out the 25 hours as they look great in a logbook and will likely come in handy when you are trying to meet flight time minimums for various jobs.

Chris

2 Likes

Yes Chris that figure is correct. Unfortunately for me at this point it’s for financial reasons, I live in a particularly expensive part of CT and taking a year off from work at my age with my responsibilities has unfortunately caught up to me. I’ve gotta do what I’ve gotta do but for now I am super happy with what I’ve accomplished and where I’m at. The instructors that I had at my location were absolutely top notch and I will never forget the experience.

1 Like