Mei

Hi all,
How much of a difference maker is having an MEI once you’re applying to a major airline? I have 2 busts and would rather not risk a potential 3rd if having an MEI is not absolutely necessary down the road. I know I would lose some opportunities instructing, but I’m curious as to how it factors into airline hiring in your experience, if at all. I have all of my other ratings

Andrew,

It’s not even a consideration. The problem is you will need a minimum of about 25hrs ME time for your ATP so that will have to be out of pocket unless you find a gig flying twins.

Adam

I have all of the 25 hours. Just considering whether or not to take the checkride and get the rating. That’s great to know it’s not taken into consideration for hiring though. I’ve also read that in order to be an LCA or sim instructor, you just need an ATP license and a type rating in that aircraft, correct? No MEI?

Andrew,

That is correct.

While I don’t like the idea of someone not taking a checkride out of fear I do understand your concern. Know that you’ll have MANY checkrides ahead of you that you will not have the option to bypass, in this case if you have the hours then you should be fine without it.

Adam

Yes, I do realize I’ll have checkrides my entire career. I’ve been thinking about it a lot. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks Adam!

Andrew,

The airlines, either regional or major, will not care about the lack of an MEI. I agree with your course of action and would avoid the check ride as well. Keep in mind though, that you will have check rides every single year for the rest of your career.

Chris