Pilot Representation on this message board?

Hello. I’ve been reviewing in here as a guest, and just created an account today. Just a quick initial question. In this forum, are all the Pilot mentors from ATP or are they from across the entire industry? I just ask because it seems like ATP comes up so frequently in the questions/discussions. Thank you.

Dee,

If you look up and to the left you will clearly see the ATP logo. This is ATPs forum and all the mentors are successful grads. Understand we’re not sales people and receive no incentive to get you to “sign up”. We simply were all in the same position as many people, confused and searching as to the best route to a career in aviation, decided on ATP and are glad we did. That said we encourage everyone to do their research and decide which route is best for themselves.

Adam

Oh my gosh, we’ll that’s embarrassing. Of course now upon closer look, I see it right under the .life

THank you Adam. And yes, from the readings I’ve done over the past couple of weeks, I can tell you pilots are unbiased and simply providing INVALUABLE information. This is a complex career journey, and so so many questions. I have found a lot of value so far in this forum.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Hello Adam (or whoever is reading this).

Thank you for your reply. I’m probably not using the pilotlife website correctly, as it’s not quite clear to me how to post a random question on the site. I wasn’t aware that when I posted a question (however I ended up doing it), that I’d be getting a personal email back. APPRECIATE your email reply nonetheless

I have a couple of quick questions to you. I could undoubtedly spend a lot of time looking on the net for the answers, but hopefully you can quickly answer and direct me here, given your experience.

My son, is 18 and is absolutely set on becoming a commercial pilot. He is currently finishing Grade 12, and he does not yet have a PPL due to busyness of schooling as well as intense extra-curriculars (hockey) the past couple of years. He has done a ‘discovery flight’, which solidified his desire to become a pilot. He would be interested in schooling as a “Zero Time” candidate.

We live in Canada. However, My son (and all of us) are USA CITIZENS. We currently reside in Calgary.

My son is absolutely interested in doing his schooling, and his career, in the USA, for many reasons. ATP is one of the options we are researching at the moment, and I have been conversing a bit with ATP recruiting/registration agent out of Jacksonville.

Here are my questions:

1. My son has taken, and has fully passed, his “Category 1 (Civil Aviation Medical Certificate)” here in Canada. We have the official certificate from Transport Canada.

QUESTION: What medical tests/certifications are needed as pre-requisites for flight school and piloting? What is it/they called? Do you think that Canada’s medical proof from Transport Canada would be comparable and more importantly, acceptable to flight schools or aviation colleges in the USA?

If not, do you know how I would proceed to get this started for him?

2. Here in our Canadian high schools, we don’t have GPA gradings for our official transcripts. They use percentage (%) marks for curriculum throughout the year as well as provincial diploma exams. So we have end-of-year Averages so to speak, not in the form of GPA scores.

QUESTION 1. How does ATP, or any US post-secondary school, take an International high school “Average” percentage and transpose that into a GPA score" to determine if qualifications have been met??

QUESTION 2. What subjects does ATP incorporate into said GPA? All Grade 12 subjects throughout the year?

THANK YOU so much for whatever you can help me understand in this oh-so complex industry and career path . . . .

• Deena

Deena,

1. the comparable medical (and the requirement for ATP) is an FAA First Class. ATP will not accept the equivalent so you’ll need to find an FAA AME.

2. If you son’s grades are from Canada, ATP will take a look at them overall. Know that ATP slots are very competitive and he’ll probably need to earn his PPL or earn a college degree before he’s accepted.

Adam