Planning on starting ATP Long Beach in February

Hello all -

Longtime lurker here. 33 years of age, a professional classical musician, BM and MM degrees… been considering switching careers since summer of 2019. Began work on my PPL October 2019 - once COVID hit and my primary work with the symphony disappeared, ATP jumped to the top of my options due to the accelerated timeline and financing options.

I’ve finished my PAL (got a 98) and am currently studying for instrument and commercial exams. Would like to have at least those 3 done before day 1 at ATP. Planning on the 9-month program with +100 ME add-on.

Am I crazy for starting ATP 9-month program right now, with the COVID downturn? I feel optimistic, because I wouldn’t be hireable for at least 3 years anyway, assuming I achieve CFI at the end of my ATP time, and during my time as CFI I intend to keep gigging on the side in music. I’m also not dead set on any one particular path in aviation - would definitely go to a regional if I can, but would love to do freight, medical, business, or even flying for CalFire. I’m not married, still pretty young, willing to relocate and genuinely excited for a fresh start in a new career.

Anyway. Wondering what your opinions are on beginning at ATP during this time.

Rudi,
I think it’s great to start atp now. In my opinion, your timing could end up pretty perfect. By the time you get all your ratings as a student, start instructing and get to your 1500 hours it will be about two years. By that point, regionals could be/should be hiring again. If not, there are still plenty of opportunities outside of the part 121 world and it sounds like you’re interested in those as well! There is no better time to start working towards your career goals. Great job on your PAR. Keep putting in the work on the IRA and CAX. You will be in a great position to start with those writtens already completed so you can focus more on the flight training!

-Hannah

Rudi,

This is key! When I first started at ATP I had almost every single written test done for the exception of the Fundamentals of Instructing (FOI). Must I also say, this allowed me the best opportunity to study more on the systems of the plane (Piper Archer/Cessna Skyhawk) and the phase of program I was in specifically. Granted not everyone has the opportunity to get each written done, but if you can get a head start on them you’re off to a great start!

Brady

Rudi,

There have been several threads on the subject. Right now things are somewhat depressed and that can be concerning but the industry will without question recover. Those who wait for things to get rosey will be behind the curve. The airlines were battling the worst pilot shortage in decades and while this pandemic has given them a moment to breath, the reality is the early retirements given have actually exacerbated the situation. People who start now should find themselves in a very good position when we return to normalcy.

Adam

Rudi,

If this is what you want, you’d be crazy not to. You said yourself, you’re mobile and ready to pull the trigger. If not now, you probably never will. I could be wrong, but that happens more than you think.

Like Hannah and Adam said, by the time you’re eligible, the industry should be back to normal-ish.

Tory

I joined atp at the very peak of covid.

When paying my deposit, I was in the mindset that by the time I’ll have 1500 hours, things would recover.

I am still in that mindset today, with 3 months to go to complete the program.

The most challenging thing I believe after finishing the program, will be finding a CFI job.

Hopefully with this vaccine things will return to pre covid levels sometime soon.

To answer your question, you have about 9 months ahead of you to start looking for a CFI job if you start today. I don’t have a crystal ball, but as stated before, hopefully the vaccine will change things. 9 months is a pretty long time.

Good luck.

Rudi,

I am going to add my voice to the chorus here that I too think now is a good time to begin your training. I know that it seems like a leap of faith in such troubling times, but we have seen things like this before, maybe not as dramatic, but we have certainly seen recessions in the industry. Those who train now will be ready when the industry turns around and hiring begins again. The who wait for things to be perfect will be at the back end of the hiring curve and will be First Officers for those that trained early and are Captains.

I like that you are flexible and open minded with your options, that will serve you well in your career. I also like that you are working on your written exams. I would also plan on taking the additional exams so that you can get your gold seal CFI. Are you familiar with those?

Chris

1 Like

Thank you Chris and everyone else all for the replies to what I KNOW is a very redundant question here. I was already 99% certain ATP was the right choice for me - unfortunately my first CFI was not supportive of my decision to go to ATP, and so despite all of my research and positive experiences visiting ATP locations, I still had some slight nagging doubt.

Your reassurance definitely helped me make my decision and I’m incredibly excited that I’m officially starting at ATP Long Beach on March 29th, for the ACPP FT 100ME!

Chris - yes I have heard of the Gold Seal CFI but I do not know much about it. Is this something I can accomplish while at ATP in CFI training?

Thanks again! :pray:t3::airplane::small_airplane:

Congrats Rudi!
I’m glad we could reassure you a bit. You’ve made a great decision. This is the beginning of your aviation journey! So as I’m sure you have seen from other threads here, now that you have a start date you will be receiving your box of textbooks and supplies very soon along with access to king schools! So get going studying ASAP. Knock out all your Private modules on king schools and schedule to take your PAR before you start! You’ve got a good amount of time to knock that out, maybe even the IRA too if you really put time in to it.
A gold seal is an extra distinction for great CFIs. After completing the program and working as a CFI, after endorsing at least 10 applicants for checkrides and 8 applicants being successful on the first attempt you are eligible to apply for your gold seal. You must also take an extra written exam, but it is a nice distinction for your resume. Don’t worry about it now though!

-Hannah

Rudi,

The sooner the better but yes. You can.
https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Tory

A CFI at another school wasn’t supportive of you leaving and taking your business elsewhere? Shocking! :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Rudi,

I got my private at a small local school and heard the exact same thing from my CFI. I went to ATP and am now a captain at a major airline, he drops out of aviation all together.

Congratulations on selecting your start date and thank you for letting us know! I think the 100 hour ME option is a good one too as it is fantastic experience.

Get working on those written exams, it will be a huge help to you to get as many done as possible.

Please keep the updates coming.

Chris