Private Pilots License

So I am really interested in getting a private pilot’s license, would like to learn to fly planes. Do not necessarily want to be an airline pilot, just want to be able to fly smaller planes. I do not know where to start. I am a student getting my bachelors, and want to start the process to becoming a pilot as soon as possible. Is there ways to lessen the expenses of pilot school and is it worth it? It is extremely expensive. Is there another pilots license apart from a private pilot one that will give me more benefits and is not too much more expensive? Perhaps I will find that I really enjoy it and want to pursue it professionally.
I know there is financing and such, but want to know that what I am getting into is worth it.

Maria,

The cost of getting your Private can vary greatly from school to school and state to state. I believe the average these days is around $8-12K depending on location and equipment. I always recommend people continue on to their Instrument ratings which allows you to fly when the weather gets bad. While you may think well I’ll just fly when the weather’s good, weather is dynamic and can change quickly which has caused many pilots without the proper training to find themselves in a bad situation. I recommend you simply Google local flight schools in your area and schedule an intro flight to see if you like it and then have them price you out a plan.

My biggest caveat is flight training requires consistency. As a current college student I’m sure you have plenty to keep you busy. Taking flight lessons every now and then doesn’t work well. You’ll be taking one step forward and two steps back which will end up costing you a fortune. If you can’t commit to 2-3 times a week I’d recommend you wait. I hear way too many horror stories of students training forever racking up $20k plus and still no license. Obviously you don’t want to do that.

Adam