Prospective Student at KPOC

Hello everyone! My name is Andrew and I am planning on enrolling at ATP KPOC after attending the grand opening/open house event this week. I have been browsing through different forums on here since I joined (last year). Everyone is so helpful! My career goal is to become an airline pilot.

I decided to get my PPL at a Part 61 school, and just finished my associates degree this May. I am looking to start ATP by September (depending on availability at the center).

Can anyone offer any opinions on the 100 hour ME option? This center is a ME location, and I think it would be great to have those hours on a resume after graduating ATP. I personally am aiming to not CFI all the way to 1,500 if I can help it.

Also, I have read that it is best to get the CAX knowledge test out of the way first, followed by the IRA/FII. Can anyone offer any advice on getting these writtens done, in any specific order? I am planning on getting Sheppard Air for the CAX this week.

I am goal oriented and want to be as prepared as possible to start this program, and would love any prerequisite advice. I am very eager to be a part of this community. Thanks guys!

Andrew

Andrew,

Since you have some time before enrollment, CAX would be the first written I’d tackle at this time. I would start this immediately. Then IRA/FII and the others latter. The 100 HR ME program option is better suited if you’re looking to go more towards cargo/corporate (P91) route as insurances typically require more multi-time. If you’re looking to go the airlines, the minimum hours you need before training for an airline is 25-hours multi (you must have 50 at time of checkride, yes full-motion simulators count trained with appropriate devices).

Also for a start date, you will have to complete an Admissions Flight and then select a start date, which could be months out. This is a process you want to get started on immediately.

Brady

1 Like

Andrew,

I was at the POC open house as well, did we happen to meet?

As you state your goal is to be an airline pilot, I would not recommend the 100 program as it simply is not needed to get on with the airlines. If you wanted to go the corporate route, that would be one thing and in that world, the ME time can be valuable, but it really is not when it comes to getting hired at the regional airlines.

I must ask, why is it that you do not want to instruct?

My best advice would be to complete as many writtens as possible, this can be a huge advantage to you in the program. Get Ahead By Taking FAA Knowledge Tests Before Starting ATP / ATP Flight School

Chris

Andrew,

I’m going to disagree with my comrades here. IF money is not an issue I would definitely go with the 100hr ME.

First you get the bulk of your time in a complex aircraft and that will make you a better pilot.

Second during the crew phase you’ll go faster and farther and that’s just fun.

Finally, while I think you should give the instructor route some serious thought as that too will make you a better instructor (and if you take the 100ME you can do ME instruction for ATP which again is a blast), the fact is instructing isn’t for everyone and having the extra ME time will give you a leg up getting 91/135 jobs.

Is it necessary? No, but it is better.

Adam

Adam,

Thank you for the reply! I have the same mindset when it comes to the 100 ME. Since funding is not an issue, I really do believe that having the experience in the Seminole would be valuable while going through instrument and commercial. Even though becoming an airline pilot is my end goal, I am also interested in 91/135 employment options, and have had friends that simply did not have enough multi time under their belt. Also, being a ME instructor seems like a fun/productive route as well!

I appreciate your time an opinion. I am going to call admissions today.

Andrew

Chris,

Thank you for the reply! I do not believe we met, but it was a great event! I was able to meet with Kirk Clews (chief of finance) and two others whom I do not remember their name, both from Jacksonville.

Thank you for the tips on the 100 ME route. My thought behind it was, since funding is not an issue, and the program timeline is nearly the same, why not? Perhaps it would give me a one up in 91/135 employment options after graduating the program, or MEI, like Adam mentioned below. I will keep you updated on my route!

On to the not wanting to instruct part. To be honest with you, it just does not seem like something I would enjoy. Keep in mind, I am still an extremely baby pilot who has a lot to learn, and for all I know, I could love instructing! Especially with how hard CFI’s work to pass that checkride. I am certain my mind may change as I progress through the program.

I am definitely going to knock out as many written exams as I can within the next month and a half. I am calling admissions today!

Andrew

Andrew,

Happy to help. The fact is, long before the pilot shortage the 100ME was the ONLY program ATP offered. It gave students a leg up when even getting an interview required a blessing from the Pope! ATP actually pioneered the airline partnerships because ATP grads had proven their ability to keep up with the pace of training. Further most airlines actually had a 100hr ME requirement as part of their mins. As the shortage intensified the airlines lowered the ME requirement to the min (25hrs) required for an ATP. To offer a lower cost option ATP created the program as the 100hrs was no longer required. That said again if money doesn’t come into the equation, I still believe the 100hr ME is the way to go.

Adam

1 Like

Brady,

Thank you for the tips on the written exams! I am going to start studying for the CAX now. Would you not recommend the 100ME option even if funding is not an issue, and the program length is the same? I figured the experience would be worth it, but then again you all know what is better in the long run. I would love to even work 91/135 in the future while building up to 1,500.

I spoke with admissions recently and KPOC is open for various start dates within Aug/Sep/Nov, I will call today to schedule an admissions flight! What can I expect for that flight?

Appreciate you,
Andrew

Andrew,

If funding is not an issue, then by all means, go for the 100 ME route.

Please keep us up to date as you decide what to do and let us know any questions that you might have.

Chris